View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 01:23 PM
KarmaCult

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Friends 1984 Accord (Help please)

I am helping my friend put a new engine in his car, its in, and its a stock replacement, 3 berrel carb, everything on there is what is on there back in 84 (just off another car)

So I assumed it would run the same, without any heavy problems, but now for some reasion, when the engine starts up, it starts at 1k rpms, and slowly gains to about 4k rpms (Which is normally when we shut the car off because of noise, but it would probably continue its climb until something broke)

And I have to manually choke the carb just to get it to stay within the 1k area, the engine is just hauling ass, and theres no real way to stop it from going to the upwards of 4k+ rpms
We've checked the carb (I'm the 'carb' guy) and theres a guy there that knows engines (but nothing about carbs), the thing is, I'm a Chevy guy (first honda job ever), 4 berrels and such, and the engine guy is a ford guy (which makes conversations fun) but neither of us know what could be the problem as I have never worked on a Inline 4 before, and he has never worked with so many vaccum lines.

So please, any help would be greatly appreciated, as this car has to take my friend from willows, CA to Carson City, Nevada in aweek

I just came into the whole 'group' of mechanics only 3 days ago, as I have been moving from my old place to my new place (makes sense eh ) so I don't know what all they did minus the work they have done with me there.

ANd another thing, just off the top of my head, the engine is pumping mad fumes from its exhaust, nomatter how I tune the carb, I'm thinking it could be one of many things, but I'm reluctant to admit it may be the Carb (As I am the one who 'fixed' it) but is there anything on there that isn't normally on a carb that I should know about? (I'm used to working on Q-Jets and Edelbrocks mostly)

Thank you in advance, and you have a good day