Notices

Ticket for exhaust?

Old 08-30-2003, 06:55 PM
LilDragonTKD
La Cosa Nostra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket for exhaust?

I was driving the speed limit minding my own business when all of a sudden i'm pulled over by an undercover cop car. The reason....my exhaust is too loud. For one thing, my muffler isn't that big and really isn't as loud as most cars out there. His reason was that the sound was going to resonate off the houses in the downtown area. I didn't even get pulled over in downtown, it was right when i was about to merge onto the highway. Everything about my system is street legal, and the cop didn't take any decible readings or anything. I plan on taking it to court, has anyone else been cited for the same thing?
Old 08-30-2003, 07:23 PM
dawrenn

Dude that sucks. Your exhaust must be pretty ****ing loud for you to get a ticket. I though the Exhaust on my brothers' 97 GSR was loud but guess I'm wrong.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:50 PM
FocuzDave
Member with a mega dong

youll be fine in court....you may get like a 2 year hold so the judge is not demoralizing the cop too much...nice lookin ride
Old 08-30-2003, 08:38 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

you can fight it. check your local vehicle code and make sure your muffler is in compliance with sound levels. most likely it is. usually the legal levels are 92 db at 50 feet.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:01 PM
SilverStyle

You should be able to fight it. Check your local laws for noise pollution levels. I think in cali its 92 db, but the cops are still pricks around here.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:14 PM
fredrocs

Yeah I got a ticket for my exhaust too, just yesterday. I have a 5zigen fireball on my car. I had it on there for about 2 years and had no problems with the cops. I actually put that one on after I got a fix-it-ticket for the original one that came with my car. I bought my car with a mini super turbo muffler, and I guess I blew the hell out of it and it was too loud. I finally got a ticket and I went to get it swapped out with the 5zigen and had it signed off by the cops. Now it's not a fix-it-ticket, the jerk that gave me a ticket is now making me go to a state referee to get it signed off. Oh well what can I do. The only thing I can do is tell the ref I was told this muffler was 50 state legal. Well good luck on taking this thing to court.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:16 PM
str8edgexx

it depends on what your state laws say....in New York, the Vehicle and Traffic law clearly states that ANY non-factory modified exhaust is illegal. There is nothing about decibal levels or anything like that. Do some research and look up your state's laws.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by str8edgexx
it depends on what your state laws say....in New York, the Vehicle and Traffic law clearly states that ANY non-factory modified exhaust is illegal. There is nothing about decibal levels or anything like that. Do some research and look up your state's laws.
I didn't know that... and they're usually not enforcing THAT law as much...but I knew someone that got a ticket for having a loud exhaust- which I thought was unheard of.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-31-2003, 04:31 PM
AirProE
Wannabe DJ!

Even if there is a law, that just sucks. I don't see them ticketing ma and pa in the farm truck w/the headers only exhaust. Or the mustang/camaro/semi-driver guys who vibrate buildings worst w/some of their flowmaster/borla/"factory" exhaust. Damn, I would go to court. I have been told that cops don't show up half the time anyway. Sorry to hear that though, best of luck.

--Air
Old 08-31-2003, 09:30 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Originally posted by AirProE
Even if there is a law, that just sucks. I don't see them ticketing ma and pa in the farm truck w/the headers only exhaust. Or the mustang/camaro/semi-driver guys who vibrate buildings worst w/some of their flowmaster/borla/"factory" exhaust. Damn, I would go to court. I have been told that cops don't show up half the time anyway. Sorry to hear that though, best of luck.

--Air
thats how it its in Stafford where i live. the cops are anti imports but when the got an import pulled over, a rustange will go by with a flowmasters exhuast and it will be louder then the imports and wont get a tickets. :fawk: cops