Notices

Civic Auto to Manual

Old 08-30-2003, 04:00 PM
MPerson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Auto to Manual

How has successfully done this themselves? Not having a shop do it for them? this site, http://www.4bangercity.com/automanual.html helps out with the neccessities and what to expect. It seems pretty easy, but time consuming, probably 2 days for me to complete. Does anyone know someone who has done this? I have questions about doing it.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is pretty straight forward swap if you are mechanically inclined. I watched my shop do it on my car (since I'd rather get it done right the first time

There are just a few tedious steps that you should make note of...

Wiring the Reverse lights to light up when you get into Reverse...

and making a plate to cover up the hole that you get after swapping shifters... that's all I can think of at the moment.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-30-2003, 04:22 PM
MPerson

So do you know that the manual pedal assembly will fit straight into where the auto pedal assembly was? I want to put as much as I can in now, but having it still be automatic, so when i do it, it won't take as much time.
Also i heard the stock tranny mount won't fit...im thinking it's because the manual is larger.. would I have to reposition it? Or can i get something that will hook onto the stock A/T mount and allow the manual transmission to hook up to that?

EDIT!!! Btw, Max, how much did it cost you for the shop to do it? many answers I get are vague, i've heard $500 and also $3000+ did you have any parts to begin with?
Old 08-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Mike94CivicEX
So do you know that the manual pedal assembly will fit straight into where the auto pedal assembly was? I want to put as much as I can in now, but having it still be automatic, so when i do it, it won't take as much time.
Also i heard the stock tranny mount won't fit...im thinking it's because the manual is larger.. would I have to reposition it? Or can i get something that will hook onto the stock A/T mount and allow the manual transmission to hook up to that?

EDIT!!! Btw, Max, how much did it cost you for the shop to do it? many answers I get are vague, i've heard $500 and also $3000+
did you have any parts to begin with?
You'll need a manual pedal set from any Civic, Del Sol, or Integra. It's a pain to get to it, you have to tear apart the steering column because it goes around it.

You'll need the Place Racing Tranny mount. If you can't seem to find one, let me know.

I paid $500 for everything (labor wise) for the motor swap and tranny swap.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Paul
Eater of Rice

Default Re: Civic Auto to Manual

Originally posted by Mike94CivicEX
How has successfully done this themselves? Not having a shop do it for them? this site, http://www.4bangercity.com/automanual.html helps out with the neccessities and what to expect. It seems pretty easy, but time consuming, probably 2 days for me to complete. Does anyone know someone who has done this? I have questions about doing it.
That's my crappy website. I'll fix it soon, if you need the images, just let me know. I never uploaded the images to go along with the instructions because I'm lazy. I was working on the layout of the site tonight. I hopefully should have it back together before Tuesday.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:50 PM
fook
Boosted D Series

images would rock...
Old 08-31-2003, 12:51 PM
fook
Boosted D Series

and what about the ECU? arent they different for a manual?
Old 08-31-2003, 02:22 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally posted by fook
and what about the ECU? arent they different for a manual?
I believe they are different. The auto ECU controls transmission shift points, so the engine with a manual would be all messed up.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:39 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

everything is pretty much bolt up. you will need a manual ecu if you just swap tranny's.

pedal assembly is pretty easy to put on just sorta cramped.

clutch lines and everything bolt right up.

side tranny mount tilts up on the automatic cars. the place racing is just longer and makes mounting of the tranny easy.

i helped with my friend auto to manual swap. works out well. We used a place racing auto to manual mount and it's complete crap. I think it's the biggest POS mount I've ever used. Fits horribly, we broke twice (not Place racings fault entirely) but the quality I feel also had to do with the mount.

HCP I believe makes and auto to manual mount. I've seen their stuff and looks like quality. WWW.JDMSHIT.com sells their mounts.

If i were to do it. I would drill out the spot welds on the frame where the side mount bolts to, and replace it with the manual counterpart. That mount can be purchased from Honda. Get it welded on and use OEM mounts for proper engine placement. Or get the HASport mounts which are comparable to the OEM mounts.

Hope I gave some useful info.
-----
Old 09-01-2003, 12:21 PM
MPerson

Ok thanks, i'll plan on putting the clutch pedal assembly, hard lines for clutch and the cc in, since it won't hurt anything, it'll be nice to only bother with the tranny, shifter and shift linkage. And from what I hear, a manny tranny ecu