Notices

jammed up starter??

Old 08-26-2003, 09:37 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jammed up starter??

should the starter armature be free flowing where i can spin it around without resistance?

my starter will turn counter clockwise, but will not turn freely clockwise without me twisting the hell out of it.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:27 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

That's the way they are built. It turns hard one way because you are turning the whole starter(ie drive, gear reduction, and motor). When you turn it the other way, it has a sort of "clutch" in it. That way when your engine starts, the starter can free wheel so it doesn't strip the gear reduction part of the starter with the torque from the engine.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:44 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

what about when it doesn't turn at all? i'd could understand some resistance, but to not turn at all? when i put all my might into turning the armature, the rod attached to the gear extends. its weird. :thinking: :dunno:
Old 08-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

You shouldn't be able to turn it, you are working against the gear reduction. If you want to test it, take it to a parts store and they can put it on a machine and tell you if it's bad or not.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:13 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

Originally posted by Hondaman
You shouldn't be able to turn it, you are working against the gear reduction. If you want to test it, take it to a parts store and they can put it on a machine and tell you if it's bad or not.
i just took it to kragen and they sed the starter will still work for awhile. :thinking: now i'm really confused as to what cause my car not to crank?? :dunno:
Old 08-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Does the starter click when you turn the key??
Old 08-28-2003, 02:19 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

Originally posted by Hondaman
Does the starter click when you turn the key??
yah, sounds like it wants to turn but it doesn't..even when i stuck a ground directly to the starter all it did was spark. hmmm, i wonder if kragen just cracked it loose for me because they used a power supply from an A/C converter. :dunno:

what do you think???
Old 08-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Sounds like a bad starter alright. I had a simular problem last winter with mine. It would turn the car over, but it would do it really slowly. I thought it did it because it was really cold, but it continued on into the summer months. I had it checked and it was pulling about 350-400 amps to turn the car over. When you bench test them(no load) they will seem to work ok, but they are bad. You can try and get it rebuilt, but there isn't much to rebuild on those starters. When they get old and tired, they are junk. I would suggest a new starter. Good luck.