Notices

Who has installed their own suspension?

Old 08-23-2003, 02:33 PM
madhandles03
SC34 powered LS-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has installed their own suspension?

My friend and I are about to install Neuspeed Sports and KYB AGXs on his 98 Civic coupe, and we have a few questions. We have the Helms Manual, and weve looked at a few tutorials online, such as this one http://www.deepstaged.net/spring_install.htm

1) We shouldnt need a spring compressor because we are doing the shocks and springs together correct?

2) How long did it take you to install springs and/or shocks for all 4 corners?

3) Did you encounter any problems during the install? If so, how did you overcome them?

4) What tools are essential for the install, and what are optional but handy to have?

5) Overall, how hard was the install?

6) Would it be smarter to spend the $150-200 to get them installed at a shop? My friend and I are smart, but dont have all that much experience working on cars, but my dad is going to help us, and he has quite a bit of experience, but not with suspension.

Basically, we're pretty set on installing them ourselves, and not taking it to a shop. If theres anything else you think we should know before starting this project, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:38 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

I did H&R Sports/stock shocks on my car. Not really that hard. Do it yourself dude. Save money and have fun
Old 08-23-2003, 02:41 PM
ZimZimma13
Boston Dirt Dog

I have a 98 coupe as well and a buddy and I did my ground control coilovers and KYB AGX's. We did use a spring compressor, but only to get the old protective sleeves off the old shocks to use on the new ones, but if you dont want those on then the compressor is not neccesary.

You will want to jack up the entire car, its easier that way. Took us maybe 3.5 hours only because we had to figure out what we were doing on the first one then it went smooth from there on out.
I encountered a seezed bolt which i had to have a shop remove, other than that, no problems.
No special tools needed, just your basic socket set.
Overall I'd say pretty easy, especially for not ever doing suspension work prior
Old 08-23-2003, 02:42 PM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

i would avice a spring compressor to release the top hat off the stock shocks and springs, since u need it for the new setup.
seized bolts will be your biggest concern. hopefully you have a torch or some lubricant to loosen them up a bit.
thats about it, just don't pop off the front fork and let the rotor smack right into your face (not that that happened to me
Old 08-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Tirod

pm noricehere.. he installed nuespeed sports over his stock si shocks...
Old 08-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Ferio Man

the damn bolts.....torch, and some liquid wrench or w/e would be a handy tool
Old 08-23-2003, 08:18 PM
spooncivicb16b

make sure you use alot of lube and be patient and dont rush what your doing take your time
Old 08-26-2003, 07:52 PM
kingk7

i installed tein springs and used my stock struts(for now). everything was going along easily until i broke a bolt in the rear lower control arm. i then had to take the control arm out and drill the bolt out(was a real bit**). make sure to use liquid wrench or something along those lines to loosen up the bolts the night before you do it. If all bolts come out with ease the swap should be complete in about an hour and a half. use air tools if you have them helps a ton. you might have to use a spring compressor if you need any hardware off of your old struts(ex. bushings, washers, etc.) if not the really isnt any need for a spring comressor unless you cant get your new spring son your new struts. but good luck witht he bolts.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:07 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

Default Re: Who has installed their own suspension?

Originally posted by madhandles03
My friend and I are about to install Neuspeed Sports and KYB AGXs on his 98 Civic coupe, and we have a few questions. We have the Helms Manual, and weve looked at a few tutorials online, such as this one http://www.deepstaged.net/spring_install.htm

1) We shouldnt need a spring compressor because we are doing the shocks and springs together correct?

2) How long did it take you to install springs and/or shocks for all 4 corners?

3) Did you encounter any problems during the install? If so, how did you overcome them?

4) What tools are essential for the install, and what are optional but handy to have?

5) Overall, how hard was the install?

6) Would it be smarter to spend the $150-200 to get them installed at a shop? My friend and I are smart, but dont have all that much experience working on cars, but my dad is going to help us, and he has quite a bit of experience, but not with suspension.

Basically, we're pretty set on installing them ourselves, and not taking it to a shop. If theres anything else you think we should know before starting this project, please let me know. Thanks.
1] you will need a spring compressor i myself dont use one but since its your first time id recommend one.

2]all 4 corners with springs and shocks only took me 1 1/2 hours by myself.

3]only problem i ran into was my nut started itching and my hands were too dirty and greasy to scratch it.

4]as far as tools, spring compressor,17mm socket wrench and box wrench, 12mm socket, 14mm socket and box wrench, allen wrench 6mm also known as a "hex" wrench, a hammer(maybe), a jack and stands, a loving friend or retarded little brother(either or but not both)and a gatorade.

5]not hard at all just time consuming, well the first time is always hard and it always gets easier with the more you do.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:10 PM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by spooncivicb16b
make sure you use alot of lube and be patient and dont rush what your doing take your time
sounds like anal