Notices

overheating

Old 08-20-2003, 07:22 PM
tunda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

ok i have a gsr swap in my cx hatch...i got a obd1 ecu. one problem is redline is like 4000rpm and plus it seems like the radiator dosent work...the top tube of the radiator is hot and the other bottom tube is cold??another thing is when i gun it vtec dosent open up...would any of these problems be because the ecu is bad???ecu is not the right one, meaning i got scammed..?? or can any of these problems be motor problems??? maybe both the ecu might be bad or the motor??? im pissed and dont know what to think or do.....thanks
Old 08-21-2003, 11:42 AM
SuperDave

I got the same swap that you have, and my car also overheats. I shorted the two wires that turn on the radiator, so they are always on, and the car seems to run fine. It ran good without overheating for a little while, but then things started acting up again. The cars temperature goes up and down. It overheats for about 4 seconds then it starts to go down. It stays at a regular temp, then when I punch the gas petal, the temperature starts to go up again slowly. Do you have the same problem?

Also, what kind of ECU are you running? OBDI P72? The civic cx ecu will work but nothing will engage (like you are describing).

As for the overheating problem, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I am going to replace the thermostat, and hope that something changes, but I am also stuck.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:56 AM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

Originally posted by SuperDave
I got the same swap that you have, and my car also overheats. I shorted the two wires that turn on the radiator, so they are always on, and the car seems to run fine. It ran good without overheating for a little while, but then things started acting up again. The cars temperature goes up and down. It overheats for about 4 seconds then it starts to go down. It stays at a regular temp, then when I punch the gas petal, the temperature starts to go up again slowly. Do you have the same problem?

Also, what kind of ECU are you running? OBDI P72? The civic cx ecu will work but nothing will engage (like you are describing).

As for the overheating problem, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I am going to replace the thermostat, and hope that something changes, but I am also stuck.

Sounds like a thermostat problem. You'll probably be fine after you change it.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:02 PM
fook
Boosted D Series

are you guys making sure you dont have air in your coolant lines when you filled the radiator back up. I would also guess thermostat, definitely try that cause hey, they're pretty cheap anyways, and not that hard to swap out.

When I replaced my engine I made a point to put a flush T in one of my radiator hoses so that the air was really easy to bleed out.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Also, you may try removing your thermostat entirely for now. Just put another one back in before winter or your heater will suck.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:01 PM
SuperDave

Yesterday I replaced my thermostat, and everything runs fine. Its hard to believe that my motor only has 34k on it, and the thermostat went bad, but apparently thats what happened. Very cheap and quick fix. Took me about 15 minutes and $10 to change it.

Check this page to see how to change the thermostat. Very similar to our engines.

http://www.bseries.net/html/garage/thermo.php

Good Luck.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:47 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

Originally posted by SuperDave
Its hard to believe that my motor only has 34k on it, and the thermostat went bad,
I had a cheap one that failed in like 2 months