Notices

Home Injector Cleaning

Old 08-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Injector Cleaning

I was mislead during my engine swap into believing that all civics 92-95 used the same injectors. Live and learn... 900 miles later after tons of check engine lights for the o2 sensor, I figured it out. The butt dyno was screaming timing issues, but it's not, at least not directly. I used the known working injectors that were on my civic cx because the ones I got with the dx engine were badly varnished, and cruddy. The engine sat in the dirt outside for 8 months before I rebuilt it, so I didn't trust them at all. I wish I did, I've been really lean for a couple of months. Bad.

I'm going to do this (thanks again Charles!!!)...
http://www.plymouthlaser.com/injectest.htm

Anyone know a reason why I shouldn't? I have a spare fuel rail. I'll get a new set of injector seals. There's a common wire on all of the injectors, and I know that's a ground, so even if it's not marked + or - like they are on DSMs, I'll be able to tell what's positive and negative.

Of course, if anyone has a working set of DX injectors in the Richmond area that they'd let go cheap, I'd be really happy to find out about it.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Nevermind... cleaned them. They came out great. I even hit up the outside of them with Mothers metal polish and they even look brand new. Ordered new seals for $9 shipped.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

if they don't work i have a set of 240cc stockers from my ex you can have for like 20 bucks
Old 08-08-2003, 07:26 AM
Spood
Sucka

I was mislead as well. I tried to run my Si engine with CX injectors because I was told they were the same. Doh! Not so. Glad you got it figured out.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Jkan, thanks, but I think those are probably the wrong ones for my DX motor, too. Maybe if I could flow enough air and got a fuel computer I could do it, but I have another car to fix right now so I can't spend that kind of $$$ on electronics for my civic. I appreciate the offer.

Spood, did it cause any damage or just run like total crap? I keep thinking it's pulling timing, but it might be detonating like a mofo. Doesn't sound like it, though...
Old 08-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Spood
Sucka

Well, fortunately I didn't drive with those injectors for more than like 5-10 minutes (test drives) because it ran so craptastically. As far as I know (and hope) I didn't cause any damage to the engine. Now, about 4 months later, the engine is running fine. From what I was told, long term use could cause damage to the engine. How long and to what extent, I do not know (sorry!).
Old 08-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Eh, probably no extensive damage on my car (yet). The plugs look a little white, but the electrodes are still perfectly in tact, so it doesn't look like I'm missing a whole lot of fuel. Probably not a huge difference between the cx/dx fuel maps. I'm anxious to get my injector seals, though. Even though this motor was free, I put a lot of work into rebuilding it. As long as nothing goes bang, I'll be happy. I'll do a compression check to make sure I didn't burn a valve, but I bet the rings are fine.

How's that D16 working out for you in that ultra-light CX chassis? Do you have any timeslips on it yet? Was it not a night-and-day difference from that cx motor? Did you keep your CX tranny, or swap in the Si box?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just curious because dropping this 16v 1.5L with the wrong injectors and not knowing where the red-line is (didn't have a tach yet when I ran it post-break-in) yielded a little more than a 2-second gain in my 1/4 mile time & I was 10mph faster through the traps after 5 runs. I thought it was pretty funny. Not sure if having the right injectors would yield much better times, but I think I'm going to run it again afterwards to find out. I'm going to be bolting on a new SS header and exhaust first, though (more for looks and to pass inspection than anything else).
Old 08-10-2003, 10:14 AM
qtiger

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html
Old 08-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

THANKS!!!! Man, these guys are cheap! 'Wish I found this before I cleaned them. Twenty bucks+shipping... I'd have paid that just to have kept my hands clean.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:12 AM
ManTiS
NinJA

Originally posted by Jafro
THANKS!!!! Man, these guys are cheap! 'Wish I found this before I cleaned them. Twenty bucks+shipping... I'd have paid that just to have kept my hands clean.
It's actually more than that. The $5.50/ injector is for testing only. I sent them my 450's, and they were already good; so I paid ~$60 for the peice of mind.