Notices

Brake Problem

Old 07-28-2003, 07:26 AM
MPerson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Problem

My front right brakes aren't acting right. They suddenly stopped responding to anything. When I put it in park, it can still roll and when i jacked up the front and put the car in Drive the right wheel spun while the left sat there.

I took off the wheel and found out that the brake pad is just sitting on the rotor, so while i'm driving, it's still braking. It's very light though so I can still go without much faulty steering problems. But after a long drive the wheel will get burning hot.

What do you think the problem is? Leak in the lines somewhere near the tire? Air? I haven't filled the brake fluid in awhile, and it's still between Min and Max, and this problem just started occuring.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:39 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your caliper piston in that caliper may be bad and not returning. I'd start with the simple stuff first:

Bleed the brakes
Clean the rotors off

If that doesn't work, I'd replace that cylinder in that caliper.

hih
Old 07-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

You have a 94 EX. It has cheap brakes. Go to a u-pull-it junkyard and get another caliper. Buy 2-new rotors if they're warped or beyond the service limit from some cheap auto-parts store somewhere, and replace the parts. Problem solved inexpensively. :thumbup

Of course, you could rebuild it like westcoast said, but it may be cheaper and easier to use a junk part than it would to rebuild yours or buy the tools to do it. Either way works fine.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:30 PM
derf
Spec5

your caliper is frozen..... its old. the front ones are cheap. unlike the frozen rear caliper I got in the back which is $140. Do what westcoast said. don't prolong it... just makes life worse for your car and its smelly.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:15 PM
MPerson

Ok i'll go get a caliper from A~M Used Auto Parts junk yark, I just hope my rotor isn't warped. Actually I do hope it is, then it will give me a reason to get that air out of my brake lines and get new Rotors. I'm hoping $150 for everything. That's the rotors, caliper, new pads and brake fluid...btw...what fluid should I go with and could I pick it up at a regular Napa/Honda Dealership?
Old 07-28-2003, 05:56 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any DOT3 (I think) approved brake fluid will work fine.

If your rotors are warped, you could always get some Brembo blanks for pretty cheap.. .just a thought.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:42 PM
SRT_Andy

Don't listen to these guys, get a new car.