Notices

'97 Civic driver's window problems

Old 07-24-2003, 09:53 AM
cpgoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Civic driver's window problems

Hey....just wondering if anyone had any ideas or has run across this problem before. The driver's window in my girlfriend's '97 Civic is acting up. One minute it works fine, the next it gets jammed up (and even crooked). When the window is like half way down, there's a lot of play and movement, as compared to the passenger window.

I had asked this guy at www.about.com, and he answered that there's a technical service bulletin (TSB) about this issue, and he even posted a possible fix. Here's that post Her car is the year where it looks like we have to replace the run channels (which I thought were what ran up the front and back of the door for the window to "run" in. I just called Honda, and the guy said that the run channel is what goes along the top of the door....and what I'm looking for is the "sash".

Phew, anyone had this problem before?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:43 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

That is a notorious honda (civic?) problem. I've expereinced the rubber weather-stripping stuff folding over, and putting excess pressure against the window.

Take the door apart, and just look at all the mechanisms involved, it's not hard, I did it first try, and the door panel goes right back on very easily.

My apssenger window does the same, but I'm lazy, so when there is that uncomfortable silence when I stop and try to roll up my windows, I just tell people that my passenger side window vtec is on the fritz...

-PHiZ
Old 07-25-2003, 07:38 AM
cpgoose

haha.....
Did you have to fix anything when you did this? Like the rubber stripping or the regulator? I called Honda, and he said they usually just replace both (he also said it's a common problem). I know in the front of the door, there's a metal "runner" that the rubber strip attachs to. I think this metal runner moves, and sometimes that messes up the window. But, the fixes are only for the stripping and for the regulator.

Just looking to see what people have replaced on this.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

i have problems w/mine too, but i just deal w/it.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:31 AM
cpgoose

hmmm...it's a little tough to deal with when the window gets stuck half way and won't go up or down.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Jessica
ch1x0r

Originally posted by cpgoose
hmmm...it's a little tough to deal with when the window gets stuck half way and won't go up or down.
i just pull mine a little bit whenever it gets stuck, works just fine.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:35 PM
cpgoose

Yea, I know what you're saying civic_love....the only problem is that sometimes it goes so far out of whack, that it comes out of the track (the metal track inside the door), and you have to take the panel off to get the window back in the track.

I'd really like to get this fixed. Anyone fix this before?
Old 07-25-2003, 05:47 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

its caused by excessive humidity in the air, it makes the rubber sticky. all you gotta do is condition the rubber. dont forget you also have to lube your window channels. its best to do it from the inside of the door with the panel off of course. use silicone lube, if you use white lithium it wont work the same.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:11 PM
roccav

my 99 civic does somethin similar with the driver's side window. it never locks up too bad but sometimes it makes creaking noises and the glass will catch in the top of the window kinda weird. luckily, it's never been a huge problem for me...