Notices

Built motor, smoke & fuel management

Old 07-13-2003, 12:21 PM
The Bum
Black people go wooooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built motor, smoke & fuel management

After completing the mini me swap (d16y7 block, y8 head) I got it running, but I had a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust. It was white, it may have been steam. I originally thought it was coolant burning, but the next day the smoking stopped.

I did a compression test, and each cylinder is good to around 190 psi. So my head gasket is fine.

can I forget about that smoke? Is that a problem if it never comes back?

Also, when I was driving it around the block, it runs fine until I hit the throttle hard. When I do that, the tachometer just drops and the motor is unable to rev. I believe this is a fuel management problem... I haven't put all the clamps on each fuel hose, will that account for horrible pressure?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

The white smoke was probably coolant that spilled into the cylinders when you slapped the new head on. If you never see t again, don't worry about it.

NEVER, EVER, EVER run your car with loose fuel lines! Are you ****in stupid? One spark, one drop hitting your exhaust, someone flipping a cigarette near your car, and you could be cajun style in seconds!!! Yes, that is probably your fuel problem. Check the vaccum line on the pressure regulator.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by The Bum
I haven't put all the clamps on each fuel hose
Bad idea. I can see running around the block with disconnected vacuum lines, unclamped coolant lines and no air filter, but not clamping fuel lines is just asking for trouble (i.e., Car-B-Q). Doubt that would cause a pressure drop problem though, aren't the clamps only on the return side?
Originally posted by Bakeoff
One spark, one drop hitting your exhaust, someone flipping a cigarette near your car, and you could be cajun style in seconds!!!
:rofl:
Old 07-13-2003, 02:23 PM
The Bum
Black people go wooooo

I agree that it is extremely stupid not to have clamped them, but the car isn't going anywhere yet. Those damn clamps for the fuel line were designed a lot shittier than the other clamps.

Also, when I did the compression test is it ok that the compression started at 120, then jumped to 150, then 190 (each jump was per compression cycle)