Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   Throwing code 22 (vtec oil pressure) on b18c swap (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/82941-throwing-code-22-vtec-oil-pressure-on-b18c-swap.html)

oc_civic 07-12-2003 01:01 PM

not saying im right or wrong.. but why we they NOT included something like this.. that seems silly to me.. short of using the right ecu OR like most switches.. finding out WHAT voltage it sends to the ecu and then recreating that in the signal wire

DVPGSR 07-12-2003 01:03 PM

I know this is confusing but Matt and I are lazy...the last two posts were his...this is Tom.

On Matts JDM motor he has one plug in the VTEC solenoid housing...it is the single wire to the VTEC solenoid itself...I have the same thing on my 00 GSR motor.

Also on my GSR motor there is a green plug that is part of the VTEC solenoid that reads the oil pressure that tells the solenoid it is OK to engage VTEC...the JDM motors do not have this.

Matt bought a USMD VTEC solenoid housing and switched them. (when it came the green plug was broken but the pis were still in it) We hooked it up and it worked for first gear then his CEL came on and the ECU went back to limp mode. So we switched the plug from my GSR to his motor to see if it was a broken plug...same thing happened.

Why the JDM solenoid does not use one and the USDM solenoid does is beyond me...however this is the single point of failure on the motor.

To recap the settup Matt is running a USMD OBD1 P72 ECU with a harness adaptor to his OBD2B Civic EX wiring harness on a JDM OBD2A motor. Focked up but the moron that sold him the engine sent him a broken JDM ECU...never sent a good one and Matt had to get his car running again.

Any suggestions as to what we can do or replace in the setup to get this running?

Thanks,

Tom

oc_civic 07-12-2003 01:06 PM

Originally posted by oc_civic
not saying im right or wrong.. but why we they NOT included something like this.. that seems silly to me.. short of using the right ecu OR like most switches.. finding out WHAT voltage it sends to the ecu and then recreating that in the signal wire
just to be clear... basicly bypass the switch and show it the signal it wants to see.. i did that with my nitrous kit.. it had a fuel pressure safety switch and i bypassed it so the solonoid would get power no matter what..

DVPGSR 07-12-2003 01:09 PM

Originally posted by oc_civic
just to be clear... basicly bypass the switch and show it the signal it wants to see.. i did that with my nitrous kit.. it had a fuel pressure safety switch and i bypassed it so the solonoid would get power no matter what..
How do you bypass it?

oc_civic 07-12-2003 01:15 PM

Originally posted by DVPGSR
How do you bypass it?
the ecu is looking for signal.. signal will be a certain amount of power through the wire OR a ground.. some wires look for a ground.. you need to find out what is SUPPOSED to run through the wire.. and then you can fabricate a simulator to simulate that much power in the signal

oc_civic 07-12-2003 01:20 PM

sounds far fetched.. but there are other "simulators" on the market that work in a similar way.. thats the only way i can see you "tricking" the ecu

DVPGSR 07-12-2003 04:54 PM

OK we figured it out (thanks to Phiz)!!! We wired the vtec oil pressure + wire into the vtec solenoid wire and grounded the other wire. No more engine codes and vtec works!!!! Night and day!!! And let me tell you guys.... this motor kicks some serious ****in ass!!!!

oneslodx 07-12-2003 05:49 PM

congrats on gettin it running, i know wat u mean about that motor kickin ass i have only run my car with the B18c in it for about 20 minutes and it was the first time ive had an adrenaline rush from a car in about 1 and a half years