Notices

Radiator Leaking (not from hoses or clamps though):

Old 07-05-2003, 03:06 PM
abstract

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Leaking (not from hoses or clamps though):

Alright, upon failing to find an answer for myself I'm trying this forum.

I found coolant all over my radiator this afternoon when I popped the hood. Cap is secure (to the best of my knowledge) and the hoses and clamps are not leaking or cracked or lose. The top of this particular radiator in my car is plastic. Luckily, it would appear to be a minor leak so far and I still had a full radiator.

Approx center on the top of the radiator you find the cap and just to the left (about 2 inches) you find what I would dismiss as simply a bracket mounting the top of the radiator to the car. In the center of this bracket is a plastic round "thing" (for lack of an intelligent term) and after staring at it for a few minutes with the car idling and also with it off, and drying it a couple times, I determined that it is in fact from this thing that the fluid is slowly seeping.

What is this little plastic nipple thing that is leaking? What do I refer to it as so I can go buy a new one to replace it OR do I need to replace the entire radiator in which case I have more research to do...and quickly.

Thanks to anyone with a suggestion.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:21 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talkling about your radiator support/stay? Looks like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kjkjkj.jpg (15.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

sounds like it's time for a new radiator. suxor
Old 07-05-2003, 05:35 PM
abstract

Yes, except I called it a mounting bracket...(it could have been worse).

Regardless, take said (and depicted, thank you for that) support stay and insert some plastic thing that leaks into the larger circle which is over the top of the radiator, make it leak everywhere and then you have what I have.

What is this plastic thing and can I replace it? or am I screwed and needing to replace the radiator?

Thanx
Old 07-05-2003, 05:44 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't see how coolant is coming out of support.......sounds like you need a new radiator.........take it to shop and get checked out.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:21 PM
abstract

That is exactly what I said. How can fluid be seeping through this thing that isn't tied (directly) to the circulation (that I can figure). But I swear I see what I see. And just to gripe, who was the genius who thought to make a radiator with plastic components, I'd like to drag him into the street. I'll probably be wiser to just replace it for that reason alone. There must be something going on underneath/out of sight in that area. I have no clue I'll just have to look when it stops raining.

Well he**, time for a crash course in the cooling system of my car. Why not, it worked on the window regulator and the sticking accelerator cable...*sigh*

I don't suppose it will create too much havoc if I decide to take the stay off to look more closely at the surrounding area, the plastic leaking thing binding it onto the top of the radiator, and what's underneath?

Thank you much.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:39 PM
abstract

...from out of the plastic radiator top there is prong around which the upper support stay sits. This dandy plastic prong has cracked at it's base and THAT is what is leaking.

I call it bad design. Hey lets make the support bind onto the most fragile and likely to break thing imaginable: a thin plastic bit standing akwardly perpendicular to the body of the radiator. Nah it won't snap under pressure and render the entire radiator useless...