Notices

clutch for street racing/autocross

Old 07-04-2003, 10:36 AM
autocross_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch for street racing/autocross

Im running a 98 honda civic with an all motor b18c, but i do have a b16 set up on turbo. , and i would just like to hear some options for good clutches for street racing/auto crossing. I want a clutch that is going to be steet loyal.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:39 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

i have a lightly modded y8 on juice and just have an ACT street strip... almost stock feel but grabs the gear much tighter...
Old 07-04-2003, 04:06 PM
CivicRacr

ACT xtreme pressure plate with performance organic steeet disc, i think the 4 or 6 puck is good for autocross just too harsh for the street and plus it'll wear out a lot faster.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:21 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Well since you're in Street Mod with the swap any clutch is fine. But get ready to be humbled in that class
Old 07-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

I have a Exide in my civic hatch ($100 ebay type), and it's a flaming POS on the track, real smooth on the street, but it just doesn't grab. I'm even using a brand new OEM flywheel. You get what you pay for.

I'm not a fan of centerforce or clutchmasters because I've fired springs out of their crappy pot-metal clutch discs. Some others may have had better luck, but I haven't.

I have an ACT 2600 with a street disc ($460) on my AWD Mitsu, it's been through a few hundred drag launches (about 100 or so at 5000+ RPMs), lots of high-RPM shifting, and still feels fresh. My left leg is 3/4" bigger around than my right is after only 14k miles. People joked about that happening because of the added pedal pressure, and I never believed them... but it's true! I got used to it so fast, though, and don't even notice it anymore. On some cars, this clutch doesn't feel as stiff as it does on mine.

ACT has to be my favorite for quality so far. I seasoned mine for 500 miles before pounding on it. Some people don't, but I reccommend it if you want any clutch to be reliable, to break it in. I'm not sure if ACT makes the same clutch kit for Honda, but if you buy a beefy pressure plate, a street disc is all you'll ever need. I wish I bought an ACT for my civic but it was $$$$!