Notices

Tranny Problem Help Need it

Old 07-03-2003, 11:19 AM
CHINO-D16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Problem Help Need it

Tranny Problem Help Need it
Hi, I have a problem with my tranny, i'm not so sure it maight be the computer , but here's the problem when i first start my car and of course is cold the tranny works perfectly but when the temp is raised to normal the tranny stop working i'm sure is more an electrical problem, if anyubody have had this problem plz tell me what to do or what do you recomend me to do change the tranny or fix it? by the way will a 95 tranny of the same model will work in my car? I own a '96 Civic EX.
Thx.
Chino

Old 07-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Tirod

im assuming this is auto.. and can you go more in depth on what you mean by "it stops working"
Old 07-03-2003, 12:40 PM
CHINO-D16

motor runs but no gears are shifted ,the tranny starts to miss gears and after wild no gears at all, i checked the fluid and it was cool even chaged it but not hing, it doesn't even smell like burn so i don't think is the fluid
Old 07-03-2003, 12:49 PM
CHINO-D16

I don't know whats going on, it might be an electrical problem but i went to a dealer shop to get a computer test and everything went ok, but most of the time when it doesn't want to shift its when my car its at the normal temp, when i first start the car
tranny is like working great but after a while start to miss gears,
is kind of confused buit i'm thinking that it could be a sensor or something that overheats,anyway any help will be appreciated.
Thx
Chino
Old 07-03-2003, 01:14 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the tranny is shot. that's what happened to mine. i had to get a new tranny.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:39 PM
abstract

Default Tranny Problem:

Unfortunately I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago. Fluid level was fine and (upon my own inspection) fluid looked and smelled norm. It simply gave out one very hot day while I was driving.

The shop indicated that computer read normal but the fluid was in fact slightly burned however.

In the end what had happened is the tranny overheated and, as a result, the torque converter blew tossing aluminum bits into the transmission and basically causing all he** after that.

Tranny had to be rebuilt and converter replaced. upwards of $1600.

Hope that isn't what is wrong but it just sounded too similar.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:11 PM
cmxterra

So what caused the overheating? Our New(to us) Del Sol just did the whole missing transmission thing and we would like to fix it with out all the drama of a rebuild.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Black '98 Civic

I had my transmission go out. It seemed to have a similar problem. It would start off fine, and then just slip out of gear, and not go back in. But I'm "lucky" it's under warantee. I put it in quotes because it's taking the damn dealer a month to fix the thing.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:25 PM
abstract

"...what caused the overheating..."

In my particular case the only explanation I can give for it overheating was A: my tendancy to push the thing beyond reasonable limits and B: said driving combined with the air being on and the insanely hot southern weather and traffic. The shop guy, originally from Las Vegas, could only suggest a secondary cooler specifically for the transmission to keep it's temp lower.

There were no sensor malfunctions and the thermostat is fine as well, but there are a hundred other different causes that I haven't even stumbled upon yet that can result in exactly the same thing... and I realize that isn't any help whatsoever. All I can say is good luck.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Black '98 Civic

I would suggest, when you get this all straightened out, get a temp gauge for the tranny, and a cooling kit. That's what Im gonna do. So maybe it won't happen again.