Notices

If i were to do a swap B18C1 Swap.....

Old 07-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Crazy_Phucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If i were to do a swap B18C1 Swap.....

hey i have a 6th gen hatch and i was thinking about doing a GSR swap in it. I was wondering what problems i would run into when attempting the swap. I have a few questions.

1.) What mounts would i use?
2.) Is there any modifying of the wiring harness... if so, what kind of things would i have to do with the wiring?
3.) I've never done a swap before but i feel that i'm pretty mechanically inclined and could get things going with a helm manual by my side. So do i need both the helm manual for my car and the manual for a GSR?

Tell me if you think this is a bad idea. I'm REAL confident that I could do this on my own. What's a few mounts, somewiring, and a headache, when in the end i'll have saved myself some money for extra parts.... right? plus i gain a little knowledge.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Tirod

i believe you need 99-00 si mounts...
Old 07-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

http://www.hybridgarage.com/tech/index.html
Old 07-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Crazy_Phucker

link is not working for me
Old 07-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

www.hybridgarage.com

click tech library
Old 07-01-2003, 03:21 PM
alllooksnnogo
Just another import lover

My god I just logged on to ask basically the same thing.....thats too weird...lol I will probibly beat the dead horse a little here but......

The guy that is supposed to to my swap is kind of giving me the run around... I would like to attempt the swap myself also. I've done a fair amount of research on it and am technically inclined but have never attempted this project before. I would feel a 100% better if I had HAN's opinions and insight as well.

just a few basic questions:

1) Is it as easy as I've read? I know you have to mod existing or install the new wiring harness but does everything match up?? (both OBD II) (96-98 B18C) with my car >> 98 si coupe (canadian)

2) Is there anything that is not mentioned on swap sites like hybrid that I should watch for?? >>the little problems

I know it drops in and what parts are necessary for the swap. I'm on the hybrid site alot. I would just like to know from your experiences

Thanks guys

Matt
Old 07-01-2003, 06:16 PM
CivicRacr

just some advice i've read from other people who done swaps is expect the unexpected, so prepare for the worse like the engine not running when you first hook it up and maybe not having the right part and having to run back and forth from the dealer or parts store.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:24 PM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Originally posted by CivicRacr
just some advice i've read from other people who done swaps is expect the unexpected, so prepare for the worse like the engine not running when you first hook it up and maybe not having the right part and having to run back and forth from the dealer or parts store.
The wiring can be a bitch too (check engine light) with the O2 sensors. Also, make sure you get the right ecu.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:09 PM
alllooksnnogo
Just another import lover

thanks boys......all stuff we have to watch and be prepared for

niko they are hopefully sending me the right ecu. It is supposed to come with the package but ya never know. What about the CEL?? Do you mean a wiring fault or does it stay on for some other reason???

Anything else I/we should be aware of??
Old 07-02-2003, 11:17 AM
egzivic

I am currently in the middle of a 96 Civic to B18C1 swap. Here is what I can tell you for sure. The upper driver side mount on a JDM type R does not bolt to a 96+ USDM Civic. Not sure yet what I need to make that happen. You will use the Upper tranny mount and braket from the USDM Civic. The rear mount works but you need the braket from the engine/tranny to the mount from 99-00 SI or the type R braket. both lower mounts from the type R should work on the Civic as well. The fun is in the wiring harness. The Civic I am working with did not have VTEC. Here is what I did. Find the Crank sensor plug on the Civic engine harness and open the harness so the brn/blk wire is able to reach the knock sensor. then cut the crank plug off. Open the Civic harness near where the wires split off to the front of the engine (by the t-stat housing) and find the wht/red wire from the crank angle sensor plug you cut off. pull it though to the and from there you should be able to reach the VTEC switch. Now just find the wires at the ECU plug and switch them to the appropiate pins. I took it a step further and opened the harness up to move the O2 connectors to the back of the engine which makes things cleaner. You will also have to switch some plugs from the TypeR harness to the Civic harness. The manifold press sensor and IAC are both square on the Civic harness, but need to be round for the typeR. Also, the IAC on the Civic has an extra wire (orange) that you shouldn't need. Like I said I am in the middle so not sure if this works, but the information on the Hybid site was correct in making it seem so easy.

Does anyone know what parts are needed to connect the driverside upper mount from a JDM type R to a 96 Civic?