Notices

help a brutha out!

Old 06-27-2003, 08:08 AM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help a brutha out!

Ok, yes i am a noobie to a lot of this car stuff, but I am learning quickly. One thing i havent found too much on is adjustable suspension.

I would like to upgrade my suspension (not just springs, i wanna do it right), and I know there exists things that you can adjust, IE raise and lower your car to different heights. I want this, so in the summer i can slam it, but I drive in the mountains and through snow in the winter, so it needs some clearance.

Is this possible? what products allow you to do this, and how hard are they to install/use?

Also, i know there are bars that people put in various places in their car (engine bay, trunk, underneath) to enhance handling. how many of these do I need to see the most improvement, what kinds should I avoid, and where should i get them?

Also, I got this fake type R grille off ebay for like 20 bucks, but it sucks. the bottom of it just has tabs that stick into the bumper. the problem is, they never stay in, and the bumper never lines up right with the grille, so it looks stupid. Where is the best place to get a quality type R style bumper?

I appreciate the help!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:18 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. search on coil over
2. search on strut tower brace
3. don't buy fake stuff.

check out www.jdmparz.com www.passwordjdm.com for the grill. You can make your own you know.

check the DIY forum out here for instructions.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:21 AM
NoRiCeHeRe

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
1. search on coil over
2. search on strut tower brace
3. don't buy fake stuff.

check out www.jdmparz.com www.passwordjdm.com for the grill. You can make your own you know.

check the DIY forum out here for instructions.
Follow Westcoaststyle's advice!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:36 AM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

who cares if its fake or not, as long as its quality.. sorry but I dont have massive amounts of money to drop on used crap from japan
Old 06-27-2003, 08:42 AM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

i have searched the forums for this stuff, and while people talk about installing coilovers and etc., they dont really cover what kind to get and what they are/what you can do with them. Is there any comprehensive web site explaining different suspension systems?

isnt strut tower brace just one of the bars that people use to brace their frames? what else is there?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:06 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally posted by s1ngle
who cares if its fake or not, as long as its quality..
what hes telling you is "fake" and "quality" do not belong in the same sentance when aplied to this hobby..
Old 06-27-2003, 10:48 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by s1ngle
i have searched the forums for this stuff, and while people talk about installing coilovers and etc., they dont really cover what kind to get and what they are/what you can do with them. Is there any comprehensive web site explaining different suspension systems?

isnt strut tower brace just one of the bars that people use to brace their frames? what else is there?

A coilover is a spring with an adjustable perch that goes over your strut. You change ride height by moving the spring perch up or down on the threaded base.

Good quality coilovers are Ground Control and Skunk 2. These just provide the base, perches, and springs. So with these you will also need to buy some good aftermarket shocks.

Coilovers like tein, bilstein, koni, penske, etc come with specially valved and shortened struts with a threaded body rather than a threaded sleve that goes over the strut, but are really expensive and probably overkill if youre not road racing.

Strut tower bars and tie bars just firm up the chassis of the car.

Sway bars reduce body roll by connecting the left and right suspension to eachother and the car's frame via a steel bar that flexes.

That should answer your question... In the future try rephrasing your search to get more results. This stuff has all been covered.

:edit: BTW I'm in Boulder. Check out highaltitudeimports.com for a local forum.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:53 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
A coilover is a spring with an adjustable perch that goes over your strut. You change ride height by moving the spring perch up or down on the threaded base.

Good quality coilovers are Ground Control and Skunk 2. These just provide the base, perches, and springs. So with these you will also need to buy some good aftermarket shocks.

Coilovers like tein, bilstein, koni, penske, etc come with specially valved and shortened struts with a threaded body rather than a threaded sleve that goes over the strut, but are really expensive and probably overkill if youre not road racing.

Strut tower bars and tie bars just firm up the chassis of the car.

Sway bars reduce body roll by connecting the left and right suspension to eachother and the car's frame via a steel bar that flexes.

That should answer your question... In the future try rephrasing your search to get more results. This stuff has all been covered.
that's what I was going to say anyway. h: :chuckles:
Old 06-27-2003, 10:57 AM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

Also, I got this fake type R grille off ebay for like 20 bucks, but it sucks. the bottom of it just has tabs that stick into the bumper. the problem is, they never stay in, and the bumper never lines up right with the grille, so it looks stupid. Where is the best place to get a quality type R style bumper?
Follow my easy ghetto steps to a nice grill:

1. Remove bumper.
2. Take a coping saw and cut all the crap out of the grill.*

*Sand if needed.

Follow these steps and you get this beautiful grill.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:57 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm quick on the draw today