Notices

HELP: How to Install Type R Grill

Old 06-13-2003, 08:01 PM
neworder59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: How to Install Type R Grill

I have 2000 4dr and thinking of replacing the grill with Type R Grill. How do I do it? Do I need to remove the bumper?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:28 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weird... I thought maybe the search button was broken.. but it worked fine for me :dunno:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ighlight=grill

about 1/2 way down the page
Old 06-13-2003, 08:37 PM
neworder59

I've read that article already but that's not the one i'm looking for. He's showing how install a mesh grill. I'm talking about how to replace the whole grill of a 4dr to look like a 2dr grill. Because I dont like the chrome look anymore.

Do I need to take the whole bumper off or is there anyway to take the grill out w/o taking the whole bumper.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:37 PM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weird... I thought maybe the search button was broken.. but it worked fine for me
:stupid:
Old 06-13-2003, 09:00 PM
spooncivicb16b

yes you need to take the whole bumper off
Old 06-14-2003, 02:24 AM
maestro5050

The bumper is EXTREMELY easy to take off. It is about 8 screws/bolts if I recall correctly. Go buy a manual for your car. It is one of the best investments you can make and it will answer most of your questions.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:01 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by neworder59
I've read that article already but that's not the one i'm looking for. He's showing how install a mesh grill. I'm talking about how to replace the whole grill of a 4dr to look like a 2dr grill. Because I dont like the chrome look anymore.

Do I need to take the whole bumper off or is there anyway to take the grill out w/o taking the whole bumper.

Any help will be appreciated.
Well.. if you read what I said, it's about 1/2 way down on the page....

This was taken directly from the page I linked (please make a note of #1 and #2):
Tools:
*Dremel tool with a cutting disk and grinder(this is way easier then a hack saw)
*black trim paint
*wire gutter mesh
*metal snips (I found them easy to use, especially when you need to fine tune the mesh)
*epoxy

1: Take off the bumper with the 6 plastic screws on the top of the bumper, one phillips head on each wheel well. (don't forget to turn your tires to one side to make this easier) Now take off the two lug nuts underneath the bumper in the middle area.

2: With the bumper removed, there are 4 phillips head screws underneath the grill holding it onto the bumper and two clips, one on either end of the grill. Be careful prying them out.

3: With the cutting disc, start cutting off the cross bars and the Honda insignia. Be careful not to run the Dremel too fast. Stay on the 4 setting for the variable drill. Then cut off the two lower tabs that seem to me don't do much. I just cut them off. Now take the grinder and grind down the burrs and smooth it out.

4: Next I taped off the black area and gave it a shot of black trim paint to hide some scratches. It gives it more depth that way and my grill is pretty old. It looked a little faded to me.

5: Take the wire mesh and outline the shape of the hole with a marker. Choose which side of the mesh you want facing out first. Start snipping away and get a rough estimate leaving at least 1" to 1 1/2" all the way around. Make cut outs to accomodate the screw holes and begin molding and bending the mesh to the opening. I just used my hands. The gutter mesh is fairly soft. Once you are satisfyed with the grill, I painted mine black or you could leave it silver.

6: I tried crazy glue to hold the mesh to the backside of the grill, but using an epoxy would be better.

7: Reinstall in reverse order.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Reading....it's fun AND educational!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:37 AM
neworder59

Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:08 AM
EddieK

dont do that DIY with your 99-00 civics. my friend did it to his and his shit now looks like a mexi-mobile... it only looks good for the 96-98 civics. just buy the real thing.