Notices

getting b18c1.....

Old 06-13-2003, 11:02 AM
kmdelsolsi
Freedom Fighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting b18c1.....

OK,
heres the deal. I am getting a 1995 USDM B18C1 with 100k on it. Before I actually get it, its being rebuilt. I get to add whatever I want to it and pay the difference to what stock is.
So what all do I want to do? I am planning on a T3/T4 turbo, FMIC, Hondata (s100 or s200), 3" thermal exhaust, race cat, 3" downpipe.
Now for the goodies, what do I want? I am asking for experts to give me some advice. My friend is good with b series, but not with turbo, so asking around.
I am thinking overbored, forged, low comp pistons, forged rods, thicker head gasket, P&P head, maybe cams, retainers, springs, new valves, rc 550's or what ever is close to that, fuel rail, fpr, fuel filter, walbro 255lph fuel pump, colder spark plugs, 8.8mm wires.
what else should i do? P&P intake manifold? different one? throttle body? I haver about $2k to add over the cost of engine, so give me some things to do now, and let me know stuff i can add later when money comes (about 500-600 at least a month for 6 or 7 more months). I dont want to drop 10 k in my motor though. I want to be over 300 whp with about 12-14 lbs of boost.
Also what would be a good turbo setup? i know nothing about AR and Trim ratios and all that.

Any help is appriciated, and please advise on what brand to get.
feel free to email me.
darrell.trueblood@us.army.mil

Darrell
Old 06-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Soltaker
I'm a bad, bad man.

I really can't see you getting all of that extra work done for just 2,000. With the machining that is required to overbore, plus any other machining needed to be done is gonna add to the cost of the build. Also, depending on how much you bore, you will likely need a custom set of pistons, built to your spec.

Also, the lower compression pistons, and thicker head gasket are a great idea. But, if you want to go anywhere near 15PSI, I would highly recommend you either get new sleeves, or some type of block guard. Your best bet is to get the block resleeved, so that in the event you encounter a boost spike, your block doesn't blow to shit.

If anything, start with just having the bottom end built, and built right. Leave the head be for the time being. You can always do work to the head down the road. Removing a head is a hell of a lot easier than yanking the entire engine.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

I have to ask, why the b18c1??? If you're planning on boost, it's already a fairly high compression engine, and you're just dumbing it down to the point of being about the same power as an LS so you can boost it. Why not get an b18b, throw in new rods/pistons, maybe have the crank balanced/knife endged, and go nuts. You would have even more to spend on the goodies since the engine is a ton cheaper.
I would definitely recommend the hondata s200. Every time I see one in action, I want one more and more. Thinking about getting one for my turbo build (in progress).
Old 06-13-2003, 03:56 PM
TsuMe
Nipples

i second baked. plus when you boost a vtec timing is a WHORE to keep right for very long, very pricey
Old 06-13-2003, 11:06 PM
kmdelsolsi
Freedom Fighter

ok,
I am getting it for a good deal.
hes rebuilding it before he sells it, dont ask why, but he wants to. So i get to add what i want to it and pay the difference in what stock would be. If the stock price costs 15 and i want a better piece thata costs 20, i pay only 5 for it to go in.
It will be better than buying a b18b for 2000, then adding 2000 worth of parts. I may end up with 4k in this, but it has 2500 worth of new stuff and 0 miles on it.
I know the b18c1 isnt the best turbo motor, but it wiull do. You can control the vtec with the hondata to engage when its best for it.
Darrell

PS this is motor and tranny deal, not just motor.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:12 PM
kmdelsolsi
Freedom Fighter

also,
I dont plan on boosting 12-14 all the time, daily about 8-9lbs, but track time 12-14lbs.

Darrell
Old 06-13-2003, 11:42 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

I see b18b's for about 1200 for EVERYTHING you'd need to swap in, all the time. Hell, junkyards sell them for that much with about 30K on em...
Old 06-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Motohip

I don't know where you guys live, but i can get D15's for $1200 in Washington. That's just for engine tranny and ECU. That's what sucks about this place.

Ok, so I DO know where you guys live...
Old 06-14-2003, 06:50 AM
kmdelsolsi
Freedom Fighter

Bakeoff,
i know that i could get a b18b for about 1500 shipped to my door. Then i would have it rebuilt with pistons, rods, valves, valvesprings, retainers and cams at the least. theres about an extra 2k, if i get good deals. thats 3500. Now i will get the B18C1 with my choice of pistons, rods, bore, cleaned, and all the other new stuff (gaskets, seals, ect) for about 3500-3750 for a motor that pushes out a few more HP and 0 miles for the same price. Plus if i wanted to sell it, i could get 3000-3500 out of it with 30 k on it, unlike a b18b with 30k on it, only get 1500-2000 with those mods, they are more abundant and cheaper so why would someone pay 2500-3000 for it when they could get one for 1200 and build it to thier specs?
I know that its a little more for a B18C1, but i think its going to be worth it. Now if it was for a unrebuilt engine, then no, I would go with a b18b and build it. but since this is being rebuilt to my specs for almost same price as a stock rebuild.
I think its a no-brainer, but maybe i am wrong?

darrell
Old 06-15-2003, 02:38 AM
Motohip

I think you found a sweet deal. Go with it.