Notices

Lowering my Civic (Need Some Advice)

Old 06-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Medboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my Civic (Need Some Advice)

I am planning to lower my honda civic this summer (I have a black 92 LX sedan) and have already purchased my adjustable coil kit. This is my first time doing this, so I am not familar if I have gotten all the necessary stuff before I get my car lowered. My biggest dillemma that I face is that if I should have my shocks replaced as well. I've been hearing different stories about this and I want to make sure I do the right thing before I lower my car. Intially, I was told that you don't have to change your shocks if your lowering your car (ie, if you are just cutting the springs.) I also read that you really only have to change your shocks depending on how low you are lowering your car. Apparently anything up to 3 inches does not require your shocks to be replaced, but anywhere over that requires your shocks to be changed. Is this true?

On the other hand, a friend of mine told me you have to change your shocks if you are going to lower your car as they could "buck out" and snap which would end up you spending more money to get them replaced. I was also told that because shocks aren't that adjustable, if you lower you car greater than what the shock absorbers can hold, it would snap. Also, if you don't change your shocks when you lower your car, you will not have smooth ride and you will feel every little bump on the road while driving.

I am so confused!!! I am thinking that the best thing is to get new shocks but at the same time I don't plan on lowering my car to the point where the distance between my front spoiler and the ground is that of the diameter of a head of a thread needle.

What do you guys ( and gals) think? Remember this is my first time doing this so if my questions sound stupid to you , sorry...

Help a fellow civic brother......
Old 06-10-2003, 11:45 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

It is recommended that you change your shocks along with your springs whenever you lower a car (no matter what the drop). Although your stock shocks might hold up for a few months (sometimes less) with the lowering springs, they will blow. It's best if you do this mod simultaneously not just to save your ride, but to save on installation costs as well (if someone else is doing this for you).

Even if you have to wait a while to save up so you could get the new shocks, I'd do it. Best to do it right the first time.

BTW, most recommended shock is either the Koni Yellows/Reds, or the KYB AGX's.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:48 PM
93si

ya what he said

you should also get a camber kit so u dont eat ur tires up
Old 06-11-2003, 12:08 AM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

Originally posted by 93si
ya what he said

you should also get a camber kit so u dont eat ur tires up
depending on how low you go,..a camber kit might not be needed,..but if you go low enough to where you get some really bad camber then yes a camber kit is recommended,...if you dont then your tread will wear really fast on one side of your tire,...you could go through some tires in just a few months
Old 06-11-2003, 12:27 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

It's true, any adjustment to the height of your vehicle on stock shocks and you will feel every bumb on the road. The life of your shock drops dramatically and it will most likely not last very long. I had a friend that cut his spring 4 inches on the stock shocks :ugh:...very rough ride :shocked:.

I would reccomend getting some type of adjustable shock for your setup. Most shocks, like Tokico Blues, which are non-adjustable, are practically a stock replacement. Some things will be noticably different, but it still isn't adjustable.

KYB AGX, Koni Yellows, or Tokico Illumana's are all adjustable and good shocks. You could ride with your stocks for a while, but you'll be pulling them out later on.

duck squad member #00003
Old 06-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Medboy

Thank you so much! I figured that I would have to change the shocks but I just wanted a second (and third, and fourth opinion ) about it.

Is there anything else I should be aware or know about it before lowering my car?

I'm not to familar about the camber kit and probably should do some more research on it, but considering I don't want my car that low, I might skip it. Thanks guys for the advice, you really helped. I guess I need to start saving my pennies now to get this done right.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:03 AM
ManTiS
NinJA

I'd do it now and save in the process, but that's me. I like working on cars.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:39 AM
AP1dude
JDM WHORE!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do any more than a 1.75 in. drop on a civic you will need a camber kit
Old 06-12-2003, 09:45 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Once you do get your car lowered, take it to an alignment shop. Your tires will thank you.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Slammed_Civic

once all that is completed. slam it