Notices

cars making strange sounds, I'd like your opinion

Old 05-25-2003, 06:54 PM
chaoticentity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cars making strange sounds, I'd like your opinion

I'll try to describe the sounds as acuratly as possible so bear with me. It sounds as though its coming from the front passener side of the vehicle, this is on a 97 civic EX. there are 2 sounds the first happens when it's put in reverse and then pulled out of the driveway at a slight angle(the wheel turned about 1/2 turn either direction) it makes a mid pitched squeal, it's constant and as soon as I stop and put it in first( it's a manuel) the sound stops.

The second sound happens at a variety of speeds and it's an erratic sound so it has nothing to do with the motor speed. it's a series of small clicks fairly quiet from the front passenger side when I say click it's the best word I can think of it's similar to when you stop a vehicle and get out and you hear a ting ting ting sound only it's erratic and happens on and off when driving.

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appericated, thanks
Old 05-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Jessica
ch1x0r

wouldn't the first one be the alternator belt?
Old 05-25-2003, 07:05 PM
chaoticentity

I was thinking that but checked and it was holding firm and there was almost no wear( fairly new belt) I also spryed it with a bit of STP belt dressing and that didnt help so it cant be the belt, it seemed to me that it would make the noise at other speends and gears as well, so I dunno
Old 05-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

first one sounds like the wear indicator on the brake pads. Might be time to change them out.

The second sounds like it could be anything from a loose suspension component, to a loose exhaust bolt, to a cv joint, or ever a nail in your tire.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Jessica
ch1x0r

Originally posted by Bakeoff
first one sounds like the wear indicator on the brake pads. Might be time to change them out.

The second sounds like it could be anything from a loose suspension component, to a loose exhaust bolt, to a cv joint, or ever a nail in your tire.
yeah but wouldn't the wear indicator be a constant?
Old 05-25-2003, 07:13 PM
chaoticentity

well it was only happining at an angle so it might be an early indication I'll check that out, now about that damt tink tink tink as I go down the road...
Old 05-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally posted by 99civic_love
yeah but wouldn't the wear indicator be a constant?
For some reason or another, it tends to be more aparent when turning. Also, more so in reverse.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Jessica
ch1x0r

Originally posted by Bakeoff
For some reason or another, it tends to be more aparent when turning. Also, more so in reverse.
oh in the earlier stages. gotcha.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:30 PM
chaoticentity

ok looks like it's time to get some green stuff pads, checked it out and it looks about there. I'm still confused/worried about that other sound though any ideas on that somthing rubbing anyone have the same problem before
Old 05-25-2003, 07:40 PM
Jessica
ch1x0r

Originally posted by chaoticentity
ok looks like it's time to get some green stuff pads, checked it out and it looks about there. I'm still confused/worried about that other sound though any ideas on that somthing rubbing anyone have the same problem before
is it when you stress your engine, like going up hills, etc?