Notices

Need some advice on clutch please

Old 05-23-2003, 03:43 PM
bobbybosche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on clutch please

Hey guys-

This is my first post . . . just found the message board after looking for a few hours. I was racing the other night against a Jetta GTI (spanked her), but whe we launced the last time something went very wrong. I came off the clutch at about 4K RPM, and instead of launching i just kind of slowly started moving forward. I figured at first that my tires were spinning but i didn't hear them spinning and then looked at my tach and the rev limiter must have gone to sleep cause i was halfway into the red like maybe around 8250 or more. I came off the gas and took it easy the rest of the way home but definitely smelled burning clutch. It doesn't drive too different now, but I have a feeling that the clutch plate is well worn (original one with 80K miles on it) and that it won't take the demands on high-rev shifts anymore. I checked the fluid level and it is fine, but is there anything else I should check? Addittionally, I am wondering if there is a website anyone knows of that describes how to take out and install a new clutch. I am probably going to get the DH-racing 6 puck. Should I seriously think about getting the pressure plate replaced, too? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:55 PM
HouseofKolorEX
I get off on WD 40

If I'm not mistaken, the pressure plate should come as part of the clutch kit. A good kit at least. Don't flame me if I'm wrong. Yes... you want to do as much in the clutch area now, while it's all ripped apart otherwise you'll just rip it apart again in 10K to do that too. I've learned the hard lesson of spend a bit more now and save a lot later. Hopefully that was of some help.
Mindi
Old 05-23-2003, 05:23 PM
bobbybosche

this particular clutch that i am looking at is specialty made by a honda racecar builder, so he does not do kits. the 6 puck is 130 and the pressure plate is another 300, but i will have to find a source for the other stuff. i should probably pick up a hayne's and look at it for a while. . . .
Old 05-24-2003, 12:17 AM
Motohip

6 puck is overkill isn't it?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:07 AM
bobbybosche

i dunno. . . . when it costs less than most popular 3 puck clutches and is made by a racing team, i tend to think that it's not such a bad idea. you know?