Notices

d16y8 sputtering

Old 03-06-2011, 05:57 PM
305ben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y8 sputtering

I have a 98 civic ex with a d16y8, 5 speed. 2 days ago I cleaned my engine bay. Now my engine started sputtering. Lagging up and down, and the check engine light flashes. It is fine at idle and to like 2500 rpm's but then the car just begins to lag in and out. Its weird because when I first start to drive it seems fine, but after about 2 or three minutes later it begins its sputtering. It almost seem as if its not getting any gas but i am not sure. I have cleaned the engine bay several times before and never had this problem and i clean it the same way every time. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Did you remember to cover up the distributor, plugs, wires and other electric stuff with foil or saran wrap? Probably got water in your distributor.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 PM
cruzalekz

you messed up, water in electrical part for sure.

your check engine flashes because your car is polluting so you have a severe misfire. civic racer has a good starting point to check out..

plus your car should have a code u can pull out
Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM
IanB
MB4

Make sure you don't have water down the sparkplug holes, if you do leave the plugs in, and blow it out with compressed air (wear eye protection). Do you have a check engine light on?