Notices

B&M short shifter

Old 05-04-2003, 02:49 AM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M short shifter

ok... i've read through posts from other's whom either recommended or had already installed this shifter into their car. but it seems that everyone had said that there are some rattling sounds, but couldn't figure out why. i was thinking about buying it because it sure does look like a beauty on riceburnincivic's car. now for the rattling sound... could it be from the bearing in the shifter? and those of you that had installed this shifter.. did u guys install the ES shifter bushings as well? please give me some advise...
here is the one i want to get.. B&M SS

also... i am waiting on my Apexi WS exhaust... would i encounter any clearance problems??? thanks!
Old 05-04-2003, 08:04 AM
EG_Oto

just a suggestion. get this instead http://www.importhorizon.com/skunk2shortshifter.html (dual bend) i used to have that b&m shifter and didnt like it much... the skunk dual bend sits like stock and doesnt rattle
Old 05-04-2003, 08:24 AM
hlhiii

i haven't had any problems with my b&m....that is until i put in the urethane motor mounts. then it did start to rattle some. not too bad though. the shifter is a little hard to reach if you have short arms. it has no bends unlike some others.. i still like mine.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:03 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get both B&M and Skunk2 if you want me to price them.

PM me.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Brad
wooo nascar!

my B&M rattles, and i have the ES bushings.. i also have the apexi WS exhaust.. havent figured the rattle out yet but i love how it feels.

(RSX 5spd shift knob)

Old 05-04-2003, 11:31 PM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Originally posted by hlhiii
i haven't had any problems with my b&m....that is until i put in the urethane motor mounts. then it did start to rattle some. not too bad though. the shifter is a little hard to reach if you have short arms. it has no bends unlike some others.. i still like mine.
sweet.... thanks for the responses guys...
as for arms... i have skinny long ass arms... kinda like a freak... especially when i am swinging a golf club... it's hella funny.

westcoaststyle... i've PM you already. please let me know. thanks.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:33 PM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Originally posted by RiceBurninVTEC
my B&M rattles, and i have the ES bushings.. i also have the apexi WS exhaust.. havent figured the rattle out yet but i love how it feels.

(RSX 5spd shift knob)

dood... that is a very nice interior!!! love that B&M cup holder cover! :thumbup:
Old 05-05-2003, 12:15 AM
dantastic
cx power!

is the b&m really worth the $50? i paid $20 for my dual bend generic from ebay, and it shifts good :exnbp: no complaints here. very quick, direct shifts. almost too quick. i grind 3rd cuz i move the lever too much faster than i can get the clutch down all the way. damn size 12 clown shoes
Old 05-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by dantastic
is the b&m really worth the $50? i paid $20 for my dual bend generic from ebay, and it shifts good :exnbp: no complaints here. very quick, direct shifts. almost too quick. i grind 3rd cuz i move the lever too much faster than i can get the clutch down all the way. damn size 12 clown shoes
I've heard and SEEN those generic short shifters BREAK.

That's the difference.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 05-05-2003, 05:47 PM
j-speed racer

Originally posted by dantastic

i have the b&m shifter in my car and yes it rattles. i dont know if its something that can be fixed, seeing as how no one has found a way yet, even after replacing bushings, bending heat shields, etc.

mine rattles at higher rpms, its a real tight buzzy vibration/rattle that stops when i put my hand on the shift knob.

i dont know if i can say i'd recommend the b&m after using if for the last few months.

pluses:

the throw is much shorter and feels great

negatives:

it rattles and there's no bend...so 3rd and 5th gear can be a reach if you have average lenght arms.

i maybe replacing mine with an ebay dual bend shifter to see if its sounds and feels better. problem being is i have seen a few break on people.