Notices

Engine Start problem!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
nossimo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Start problem!

Hey,

I have a 99 Civic Ex with 93K miles

I've been having problems starting the engine lately... here's the thing though.

1. when I start the engine every morning I go to work the engine starts just fine... however if I stop somewhere like to get gas and try to crank it again it wont start
2. when I turn the key it makes the normal sounds but it just doesnt catch
3. its been getting colder but I dont think that has anything to do with it because it started a little before then
4. engine cranks just fine with a jump
5. my oil filter hasnt been changed for the past 3 years and its 20k old so I'm going to start there

I thought maybe it was starter but I heard that if its starter a jump wouldnt help

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by nossimo; 12-10-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I'm going to guess battery. Our Odyssey was having problems starting as it got colder. Even doing what you mentioned - lights and everything turned on but no cranking, but hooking it up with cables or a quick charger let it start up fine.
Took it to Sears to get diagnosed and they said the CCA (Cold cranking amps) were very low.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:23 AM
nossimo

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
I'm going to guess battery. Our Odyssey was having problems starting as it got colder. Even doing what you mentioned - lights and everything turned on but no cranking, but hooking it up with cables or a quick charger let it start up fine.
Took it to Sears to get diagnosed and they said the CCA (Cold cranking amps) were very low.
The battery has lasted this long but its probably about time its changed out so I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Nowadays most batteries last about 4-5 years, 6 if you are lucky or in a stable climate (not extremes like the northeast). Our Odyssey had the original battery when we purchased the car in 2004. So it was about due anyway.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM
nossimo

Figured out the problem.... it was due to corrosion which was causing a bad connection... replaced the battery terminal to the cable and smeared this jelly Pep boys has to prevent corrosion