Notices

Rear end too loose-Rear strut bar questions?

Old 07-01-2002, 03:40 AM
jigga008_99
JDM all day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end too loose-Rear strut bar questions?

Question for the hatchback owners because I know you all face the same problem.

My Del Sol gets way too loose around curves. I have it slammed with Weapon R coilovers. I do not have a wing or spoiler so I need something to keep my rear end in order. Do rear upper and lower strut bars really work? I am planning on buying either Neuspeed or Skunk2 rear lower strut bars. Supposedly there are no upper rear strut bars but I believe the one for the 92-95 hatchbacks will work for my car. Which one will yield more restraint on the rear end-the upper rear or lower rear strut bar? All replies are appreciated.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:30 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

What are your tire pressures? You should keep them even all around to get rid of oversteer. Plus have you balanced the car on coilovers? Having one section of the car off even by .5" can increase oversteer. The fronts and rear should be within 1/4".

When was the last time you got an alignment? Too much toe in or toe out can create oversteer too.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:18 AM
underboost

sway bars are much better than strut bars not as cool looking but more effective
Old 07-01-2002, 12:21 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by underboost
sway bars are much better than strut bars not as cool looking but more effective
Yeah, but its kinda stupid to compare strut/sway bars, they're there for a different purpose. Like apples and oranges, you know.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:22 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

but anyway, i'd say get a 4 wheel alignment, and if that doesn't work, un-slam your coilovers. There is such a thing as too low.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:29 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

sorry to keep adding on, but yeah, strut bars do help but wont really change the handling characteristics of your car, just tighten things up. And the HB upper will work in a del slo. Maybe you should look into a bigger FRONT SWAY bar, it will get rid of your oversteer. OK, I'll shut up now, sorry.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:09 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I have Neuspeed Front and Rear Strut Bars and they work very well. I don't know if they will correct oversteer but they do help brace the frame of the car and prevent twisting, and make steering much much better.

However there are no Lower Strut Bars, those are Tie Bars. They brace the lower control arms.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

you have aftermarket shocks?
Old 07-02-2002, 02:36 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Strut bars will not fix oversteer/understeering - they will make your car more responsive since they tighten up the chassis which makes handling better.

But answer all my questions and I can help you un-oversteer your car.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:43 AM
jigga008_99
JDM all day

To answer all your questions. I do have new aftermarket struts by Tockiko(I know it's spelled wrong). I just had an alignment after I put on the coilovers and struts which was like a month and a half ago. And all my tires are new with the correct tire pressure. I always check my tire pressure before I head out to street races on Fridays. I don't know if it is an oversteer/understeer problem. My rear end just likes to get loose and I want something to tighen up the chassis. I have a front upper strut bar and I feel the difference. DEL SOLs(not del slo) have a small wheelbase and they are very loose because of the removeable top. It just seems like I need something to keep the back in check. Someone recommended a spoiler or wing but for some reason I don't want one.

Quick Reply: Rear end too loose-Rear strut bar questions?