Notices

03 Civic SI vs. 03 Sentra SE-R Spec-V

Old 04-25-2003, 07:00 AM
flpngino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Civic SI vs. 03 Sentra SE-R Spec-V

Yes, I'm a noob. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

So, I'm looking at purchasing a car within the next couple of months and have pretty much narrowed it down to these top two choices. There's a vivid blue 03 civic si sitting at the local dealership and since I used to work there, i can get the car $100 over invoice. I know a lot of people don't like the body style, but I do. However, there's a white 03 Sentra SE-R Spec-V sitting at the local Nissan dealership that is the last 03 they are getting before the, IMO, uglier 04's come out. I wanted to get some opinions on which I should go for. I think the Sentra has a nicer interior and stereo, but I was put off by the SCC article about the claimed 175 hp engine only putting out 141 on the dyno. Also, my gf keeps yelling about how ugly the rear looks. I like the 17's, but I have an old pair of 17's anyway, so it's not a big deal. I like the smooth ride of the Si and I think it looks more unique. More cargo room and I've been a Honda guy for a while now anyway. Your thoughts? (Oh, can we please limit it to these two cars. I'm not looking for a FI car right now and want to keep it to $16-20k)

Of course, there are other options, like a used car, or waiting to see if Honda really does bring the CTR out in the fall. Which, I'll probably decide on one of these two cars and then decide whether to buy now or wait until the fall to see if the CTR comes out.

Also, what kinda mods am I looking at to get the Si K20 up to its big brother's performance level? I realize there aren't very many engine mods out right now for the 02-03 si, but I figure I'm gonna wait to gut it out anyway.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Paulll
Hail Bent

great, you post this on a civic forum, and ask us what would we get...
Old 04-25-2003, 07:10 AM
flpngino

Yeah, because most people here are pretty objective with their opinions. I realize a lot of guys here are all over Honda's nuts, but there are some guys who can form a pretty rational opinion. Besides, it's not like a lot of people here have the new Si's. But, a lot of them know their shit, so I thought I'd ask.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:15 AM
huviduc

id go with the Si. im my opinion the look a HELL of alot better then the sentras.

its a honda. thats all you should have to say to youself. im that guys that is all over honda's nuts
Old 04-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Paulll
Hail Bent

try posting this in off-topic, you might get more help there since more people view that part
Old 04-25-2003, 07:18 AM
flpngino

Good idea. Thanks, Paulll.

Originally posted by Paulll
try posting this in off-topic, you might get more help there since more people view that part
Old 04-25-2003, 07:21 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

To answer your question from a personal stand-point, I would certainly go for the '03 Si. I agree with your g/f about the rear of the Sentra, plus its still a grocery getter. Performance wise, I believe the Si would dominate, only due to the fact it has 160 hp and weighs in probably less than the Sentra despite the Sentra's 175 hp. Its just a bigger car. Also consider that there are family versions of the Spec V out there, a lot of them. There aren't any weaksauce versions of the Si its just one. Provided that you have some money and get the Si, there are benefits...

(1) you can always swap out the engine for the RSX-S one.
(2) you have a 2.0 liter engine feels more torquey
(3) Check out Super Street's article on the Sparco Si, with enough money and time anything is possible...(its turboed, and hauls some serious ass)

Hope that helps in making your decision...

P.S. i wouldn't hold my breath about the CTR...
Old 04-25-2003, 07:25 AM
flpngino

Thanks. Those arguments were kinda in my head as well. I like the fact that the Si is putting out 80 hp/liter and the Sentra is only putting out 70 hp/liter. I've always liked having a unique car (currently have a yellow 88 prelude with mods in exc. condition), and I don't think the sentra sticks out enough. Thanks for the Super Street article. I'll have to check that out. I wonder if anyone knows what OEM parts I can get to get the Si K20 up to Type-S specs.

Oh, I was talking to all my friends at the Honda dealership, and they said as far as they know, Honda plans to bring out the CTR in the fall. I know it's been said before, but at least this time it's coming from the inside.

Originally posted by honda_pilot
To answer your question from a personal stand-point, I would certainly go for the '03 Si. I agree with your g/f about the rear of the Sentra, plus its still a grocery getter. Performance wise, I believe the Si would dominate, only due to the fact it has 160 hp and weighs in probably less than the Sentra despite the Sentra's 175 hp. Its just a bigger car. Also consider that there are family versions of the Spec V out there, a lot of them. There aren't any weaksauce versions of the Si its just one. Provided that you have some money and get the Si, there are benefits...

(1) you can always swap out the engine for the RSX-S one.
(2) you have a 2.0 liter engine feels more torquey
(3) Check out Super Street's article on the Sparco Si, with enough money and time anything is possible...(its turboed, and hauls some serious ass)

Hope that helps in making your decision...

P.S. i wouldn't hold my breath about the CTR...
Old 04-25-2003, 07:36 AM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

i'd hold out for the CTR. I've been reading some car mags and quite a few have said the CTR is almsot def. Honda just hasn't announced it.

I think we'll see a CTR in the states at the end of this year.
-----
Old 04-25-2003, 07:41 AM
flpngino

Yeah, I think so, too. I guess I can spend these next few months saving up the $4k price difference there probably will be between the Si and the CTR.