Notices

'99 automatic civic shift with an ecu or tcu?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:18 PM
j-speed racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 automatic civic shift with an ecu or tcu?

My wifes 99 civic automatic has started slipping when taking off at over 50% throttle. I'm starting to think its not downshifting into first when coming to a stop and its taking off out of 2nd causing the slip.

Talking with my mehanic he think its a faulty computer causing the improper downshifts.

Doing some research older civics run a TCU (transmission control unit) along side the ECU. Looking at my wifes car there's only an ECU down by the passenger kickpanel.

Is the TCU located somewhere else on the car this year or is the shifting intelligence in the ECU for the 99 civics so I should replace the whole ECU?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

there is a sensor on the transmission thats being held on by 2 10mm bolts on top of the tranny underneath the distributor if i remember correctly. Take that off and see how filthy the screen is. Clean it up and see what happens, dont just go replacing the ecu
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
j-speed racer

will do, anything in particular is should be cleaning it with. i dont want to fry the sensor.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

after taking it apart, just use some break clean, and also don't soak the sensor moderate sprays and make sure you clean the filter too