Notices

1998 honda civic dies when Im driving down the road but restarts with no problem

Old 04-23-2010, 08:01 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 honda civic dies when Im driving down the road but restarts with no problem

1998 honda civic dies when Im driving down the road but restarts with no problem.. This doesnt happen with me doing any certain thing.. It just happens when I least think it will.. I thought it may have been spark plug or fuel filter so I replaced those new two days ago and still my car died on me today.. Its not like I am idleing somewhere, I am actually driving down the road and the car just dies because I see the gauges fall to zero and my radio dies completely.. The battery is less than a year old an do not see it being the battery as my radio is not being reset when my car is shutting off.. My car does start up just fine without hesitation when I restart it but I want to take care of the problem before It gets me into an accident. Not sure If a mechanic can do something about this as its not something that is happeneing at a certain time.. Please post
Old 04-24-2010, 04:07 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Sounds like a similar thing I had with my car. Mine was a grounding bolt (the fuse box under the hood for me was the culprit).
Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 AM
honda1998civic

I see.. Can I find this p roblem with a multimeter or Will I have to wait till The car does not start anymore to find the problem?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 PM
honda1998civic

OK my car did it again.. I cranked it up and then it just shut off instantly.. So i turned it on again and the mph gauge shot up to 60 then dropped off.. Not sure if t his is something that can help determine my problem but just never seen it shoot my mph gauge up like that when I start my car... please post if we got some mechanics in here.. thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

check your grounds by the fuse box, the one on the transmission and the one on the motor. if I were you i would take one by one off and clean up the area by taking some of the paint off and reconnecting them.