Notices

Transmission fluid

Old 03-23-2010, 05:40 AM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission fluid

With the next oil change, in about 500 miles, I'm going to change my transmission fluid. Last time I did it, about 15,000 miles ago, I used Syncromesh fluid. It's worked great, but I can tell that after only 15,000 miles the shifts are getting a little rougher. So I'm thinking about changing fluids. Does anyone have any ideas suggestions? It's my DD, but I do run it kind of hard. I was thinking about going back to Honda MTF, but last time I used it I was disappointed with it; the shifts were noticeably rougher then with Syncromesh.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Redline96LX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new OEM fluid!

Everyone likes Synchromesh at the beginning, but no one gives LONG TERM reviews. There is a reason. Its shit. It was designed for a different viscosity for the Corvette which doesn't have a Honda-quality gearbox.

I ran it in my y7 tranny. Made the shifts feel smoother at first. But it ended up affecting the tranny. It got worse and worse and what happened was the fluid affected the internal bearings. It caused the bearings to wear and create friction. When i swapped to the y8 tranny, i spun it by hand and the y7 was NOTICABLY harder to turn, almost unable to turn by hand while off the car. So take it from me. You can't outengineer Honda with a cheaper fluid. Stick with OEM fluid (or actually the book reccomends a motor oil). Clean fluid can get in there and make your shifts a bit better, but worn synchros can't be masked by that fluid, it'll mess up the bearings.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Try 10w-40, I couldnt get HMTF when I was last filling my tranny so I just got regular oil, and it worked good for me.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 AM
IanB
MB4

OEM Honda fluid.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. So everyone thinks I should just go ahead and use OEM Honda MTF? Well, I might have to give it a try.
Thanks