Notices

Shifter rattle at 3000rpms'ish

Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter rattle at 3000rpms'ish

Hey guys this has been bugging me but before I jack up the car and see what's going on I thought I would ask you all 1st.

I have a B&M short shifter, stock knob on my 93 Civic Si with about 235,000 miles. The short shifter was installed in 2006 with some ES bushings. I had this same problem on my 91 Civic Si and never really got around to seeing what was causing the rattle either.

What do you think it is? Only happens when I'm cruising along around 2500-3000rpms Or when I accelerate through that rpm range. Sounds like 2 washers hitting each other.

You can hear it here about 10 seconds and throughout the clip:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=127233431355

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/127233431355" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/127233431355" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="240"></embed></object>
Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Shameinator

when my friends civic made a similar noise it turned out to be that he needed flex pipe added to his exhaust. It fixed the problem for him.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Shameinator
when my friends civic made a similar noise it turned out to be that he needed flex pipe added to his exhaust. It fixed the problem for him.
My noise comes up through the shifter and knob. So it cannot be the exhaust.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
fathergoat
:3

as I recall there is a heat shield that some short shifters hit or come really close to. if it is then 2-3k might be the magic rpm range to cause the vibration to make a little contact. heat shields are the only thing around the shifter and linkage that I can think of that would cause the noise you described.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
IanB
MB4

I have the same problem, B&M dual bend shifter on my old '98 1.6EL, and the problem carried over to my '99 1.6EL when I swapped all the parts over to the new car. My shifter is no where near the exhaust when I jack the car up, I wondered if jacking it up affected how the exhaust hung or something, cause the sound is still there.

I recently came up with an idea about this: I read somewhere that an Integra shifter assembly has a wider shifter bracket than a civic, if the B&M dual bend shifter is designed for the Integra, then there could be some play where the shifter attaches to the shift linkage as my EL is based on a civic platform. I haven't been back under the car to check, but if you're looking, start there. I have checked to make sure the shifter/shift linkage bolt was tight in the past, but never if there was any play in that joint.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 PM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IanB

I recently came up with an idea about this: I read somewhere that an Integra shifter assembly has a wider shifter bracket than a civic, if the B&M dual bend shifter is designed for the Integra, then there could be some play where the shifter attaches to the shift linkage as my EL is based on a civic platform. I haven't been back under the car to check, but if you're looking, start there. I have checked to make sure the shifter/shift linkage bolt was tight in the past, but never if there was any play in that joint.

The dual bend shifter is a little wider then the Civic linkage, so you have to cut it down to fit(it's something like 5mm on one side, and 2mm on the other.) So unless you cut it wrong, I doubt that's the issue.

Last edited by themonsteraria; 11-05-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:20 PM
IanB
MB4

Originally Posted by themonsteraria
The dual bend shifter is a little wider then the Civic linkage, so you have to cut it down to fit(it's something like 5mm on one side, and 2mm on the other.) So unless you cut it wrong, I doubt that's the issue.
I didn't cut mine at all, and it fit, and it rattles. I guess I need to keep looking then.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Uh, are you sure it's a dual bend from a GTR? Because the GTR dual bend is for a B series linkage, and the D series linkage is slightly different (narrower) then the B series.

P.S. Thanks Civic2scooby for informing me about shifters.

Last edited by themonsteraria; 11-05-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Forgot credits
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 AM
IanB
MB4

Originally Posted by themonsteraria
Uh, are you sure it's a dual bend from a GTR? Because the GTR dual bend is for a B series linkage, and the D series linkage is slightly different (narrower) then the B series.

P.S. Thanks Civic2scooby for informing me about shifters.
What are you talking about "GTR" for?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 AM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Because the GTR is where people usually get a dual bend shifter from.