Notices

hella overheating prob

Old 06-27-2009, 08:00 PM
meberra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hella overheating prob

history:
i had a 93 civic ex with D16z6 with 240,000 miles that was over heating so i repalced the thermostate. Worked for 2 months then my radiator blew. Replaced the radiator with a New one with a top and bottom hose. Worked for another 2-3 months. Started overheating again this time i noticed the fan was not coming on. Driving on the highway (65-70mph) keep the temp from going up till i got off to a stop light/sign. So i read if i was to turn the heat on full blast it would control the temp level and that worked for a month. Then none of that seem to work at all. I drove the car for another month with these problems and as u would of guess.... I Blew My Motor.

Current:
Now i have a new motor D16Y8 with about 100,000 miles changed timing belt and water pump, that runs perfect for a week and a half but motor still seem'd hotter than it should of been. Then today i blew a hose. Ive tested the fan motor by running a fused wire to the battery and the fan turns on. I checked the (i think its called) radiator fan switch (the plug that is right next to the lower radiator at the back of the motor) and it made the fan turn on too so i know that one works....

what else could be making this happen??? should i replace the thermostat again, the relay, and/or the coolant temperature switch?? this is getting really aggravating any help/suggestions could be so helpfully.

-Michael
Old 06-28-2009, 04:14 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I was going to say on the D16Z sounds like a head gasket. On this motor I want to say head gasket too. Have you looked in your coolant to see the color of if any bubbles are perculating? If so it's head gasket. If the hose is blowing off or inflating/getting huge then it's definitely a head gasket.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:34 PM
meberra

i dont know.... i would really hope not i went out and got a coolant temperature sensor and replaced the hose that blew. didnt have enough time to change the sensor but i figure if it dosent work ill try the radiator temperature switch then the thermostat. so far its not overheating but the top radiator hose it really hot and really tight.... the lower hose is hot but not as tight.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:44 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I had this problem too, my top hose was really hot, and started to bulge from the pressure. Looked in my radiator (cap off) you can see little bubbles coming out. meaning that my cylinders were leaking into my coolant, making the coolant extra hot. Once I got my head gasket replaced the hose I can somewhat touch with bare hands now. Couldn't do it before.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
meberra

Ok i changed the radiator cooling fan switch and the coolant temperature sensor. the overheating stopped and the fan finally cut on after letting the car warm up to normal temp. But im still a little concerned at how hot the engine still fills. it just seems like its maybe building up too much pressure. any other ideas?? its not smoking or running funny at all no oil in the cylinders so i wouldn't think it is the head gasket... i really hope not cause i dont have the 700 to put up for that much work.

Last edited by meberra; 06-30-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
95LSv
Banded

When the head gasket blew on my d16z6, there was no weird smoke, no coolant in my oil or anything... Just coolant barely coming out of the back of the head, next to the thermostat... I would only notice the car overheat after a few days and the radiator being empty... Changed the headgasket and now its fine... You can change headgasket by yourself (took me a little over 3 hours to get the head off) and the next day after getting the head back from the machine shop I put it back on in 1.5 hours, that was my first headgasket job, really not that hard at all.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:30 AM
meberra

ok well now ive seem'd to have thrown a code. a code 43 and a code 6. i looked them up and it says it the coolant temp sensor and most people say that a bad o2 sensor is the cause of the code 43. so i guess im gonna have to get a new coolant temp sensor and o2 sensor...?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 AM
meberra

ughhhhh one prob after another..... get up to head off to autozone and car wont start. i jumped the battery and all was fine(this is the second time i've had to jump it withen the last 4 days). got 5 blocks down the road and suddenly my car felt like it was gonna die. reving to motor seem like it would give it Some power but then it wouldnt accelerate till i let off the gas again. could my Alternator be going out and not putting enough juice to the battery??? or could this be the o2 sensor messing things up???

** ok it seems like the battery was going bad, nothing weird was causing it to drain... alternator was good. starter good, ect. just needed a new One. i un-hooked my power wire for my subs just in case it was drawing. so far so good. i guess i got everything sorted so far, once i change the Oxygen sensor hopefully everything will be good. thanks for everyones help!

Last edited by meberra; 07-06-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: update