Notices

How much do mods mess up your car?

Old 06-19-2002, 08:01 PM
NAlodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do mods mess up your car?

I hear lots of people saying that modifications will make stuff go wrong on your car. The main reason I want a civic in the first place is for something reliable to drive. I am not looking to do anything major but if I just did i/h/e could it mess up anything else with the car? Also, about how much hp could I expect to gain with i/h/e?
Old 06-19-2002, 08:05 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Properly installed, and using parts that were actually meant for your car, you shouldn't see any problems with it. In terms of HP gains, out of all the three that you mentioned, I'd say about 1-3hp gains. And that's being optimistic. Of course, that all depends on what kind of parts that you installed on the car. Using a dyno would give you the real numbers you're looking for.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:15 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally posted by randomtask77
Properly installed, and using parts that were actually meant for your car, you shouldn't see any problems with it. In terms of HP gains, out of all the three that you mentioned, I'd say about 1-3hp gains. And that's being optimistic. Of course, that all depends on what kind of parts that you installed on the car. Using a dyno would give you the real numbers you're looking for.

:werd:
Old 06-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Grifter

Originally posted by randomtask77
Originally posted by asiandoood

:werd:
Old 06-19-2002, 09:04 PM
Max Power
Buff Member

when i got my car i installed an intake, then i kept getting cel's. i thought it was cuz of the intake, but then i took it to a honda dealer and it was an unrelated problem. . .go figure
Old 06-20-2002, 02:35 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

The only thing I can see is maybe suspension components putting more stress on the body of your car - things like strut bars, sway bars, lowering springs, higher rate coilovers, and larger wheels/tires. The OEM body is just not setup (thick enough or welded more than enough) to handle higher G forces.

I can only see maybe intake, exhaust, and headers making the car run a bit more rich (more air=more fuel) which might foul your plugs quicker.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:00 AM
skubb
not that TLC sh!t either

damn guys those dyno numbers are so off. I know its sohc and I know your talking wheel horsepower but thats just to damn low.

i/h/e might give you 3hp ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE RPM BAND. but I'm positive thats not the peak they will create.

:fawk: haters with b-series
Old 06-20-2002, 09:12 AM
wilsel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually a K&N filter can shorten motor life. Next time you take yours off to clean look at the trash that can get throught that thing. Look on the inside of the filter, and look at the intake plumbing. It allows more air flow, and more debris to enter the engine. I've noticed that when I change my oil (every 3K) it's a lot darker than before I had the CAI.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:13 AM
CivicPete

why would aftermarket parts hurt ur car? i mean think about it if the parts are suppose to make ur car better wouldnt make ur car then run better lasting longer
Old 06-20-2002, 10:30 AM
skubb
not that TLC sh!t either

Originally posted by CivicPete
why would aftermarket parts hurt ur car? i mean think about it if the parts are suppose to make ur car better wouldnt make ur car then run better lasting longer

well like Mike said the civic wasn't really designed to be slammed on the ground. Also of course when your talking forced induction (turbo, supercharger, nitrous) your engine is really not designed for that. you may be able to get away with 6 pounds of boost for a while but the motor won't last nearly as long.

whenever you start doing major mods and driving the car to its limits, your putting it far past the limits it was made to withstand.

simple i/h/e will not hurt your car at all.