Notices

Noxious fuel smell in cabin

Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Maxire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noxious fuel smell in cabin

'Sup everyone. Been a while since I've visited.

I'm not really sure if I'm in the right forum since I have a 2000 Civic SI, but the other forum was '02+, so forgive me if this is misplaced. >.<

First of all, I'm a newb when it comes to tuning, so bear with my ignorance...I'm in a heavy learning process (especially about the car I have; details may not be known :P).

Anyways, on with the dilemna...

The car:
2000 Civic SI
1.8L DOHC B16 w/ GSR top block as well as many other parts GSR (I believe)
Naturally aspirated w/ ~10.5:1 compression
K&N intake; DC exhaust manifold; 2.5"-3" catback exhaust
Hondata modified ECU

The problem:
Today driving to work (I commute around 30 miles to/from) my cabin was filled with a heavy fuel/oil aroma, and even with the windows down half way (it was raining, unfortunately) I could still smell it. With the windows up, I was getting light-headed to the point of nausea.

Slight history:
The engine burns a little oil - about 1.5 quarts every oil change (3k miles), and with a recent tune-up at the shop in ATL I found out that I probably need to replace some piston rings or do some internal work.

The oil was changed ~500 miles ago and has already burned through a lot of oil since the Hondata tuning, so I've been keeping a close watch on it and decided to give it about 1.5 quarts (was at the minimum level). Unfortunately I did this on my way to work without giving it time to settle and check it again, and when I got to work and let the engine cool, the oil level is about 2-3 mm above full.

Could the overfill of oil be the problem or do I have other things to worry about now (gaskets and seals being ruptured from overfilling, etc...)?

Appreciate any information, and once again, I'm sorry for the newbness! I've spent the last couple hours on/off reading up on this, but please correct me if I have anything wrong here. Thanks.

Edit: Also, I have an oil pressure gauge mounted in the cabin, and so far, the PSI hasn't gone any higher than it normally does ~80 PSI at full throttle/high rpm.

Last edited by Maxire; 05-26-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Maxire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I found the problem...

I got home after going through about 1/2 a tank and checked under the hood. Apparently there is a nice little hole in my fule line running from the rail to the fuel pressure gauge. Hopefully that's it and not something else.

Thanks anyways gents. ^^