Notices

Learn from my mistakes - Civic HX

Old 05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
sbblumhof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learn from my mistakes - Civic HX

I had a major issue with my 2000 Civic HX. It started with the ECM code P1163 and P1164. I bought a new O2 sensor, but the check engine light came back on. I then noticed a crack in the manifold and bought a new Honda one ($600), but the check engine light came on again. So I took it to the dealership and they claimed I needed a new ECU, so I bought a rebuilt one, but the light still came on. I took it back to the dealership and they said I needed a new O2 sensor....again. I said screw it and had them replace it, but the light STILL CAME ON. I returned it to them AGAIN, and they told me the problem is I do not have the updated A33 ECU!!! This just did not make sense. Why would my car suddenly need an updated ECU when the car was built with the A32 (A33 is the newer version)? Does this make sense to anyone? With this logic, my PC may randomly decide it can no longer run on XP and I have to upgrade to Vista, even though my pc was built with XP.
ANYWAYS -

I kept this car for nearly a year, continually having this problem (although I did eventually figure out if I drove the car just the way it wanted, it would not trigger the CEL), then finally got sick of it and sold it. The new owners did not want my 17" alluminum wheels that I put on it and the car has never had a problem since. IT turns out my aftermarket wheels were a little heavier than the originals and were causing a problem for the computer. Just if anyone else has this problem, they might like to know
Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 AM
con

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would heavier wheels cause this problem? I don't understand. Lots of people have put bigger rims on an HX without problems.

I bet the problem lies elsewhere.