Notices

question about replacing pcv valve and changing tranny fluid

Old 01-22-2003, 03:26 AM
HLD_Civic
se7en

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about replacing pcv valve and changing tranny fluid

I'm planning on doing these two things this weekend. If all goes well, how long do you think that these two things should take. I have the right equipment, 4 jack stands and a floor jack. Is there any advice anyone can offer about the pcv valve - ??? Or about changing the fluid??? I already have a good funnel with a tube for refilling. Any info will be of great help.....

Thanks a lot to all.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:24 AM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Is your PCV bad? I've been told numerous times that they almost never go bad and not to worry about replacing them. Have you heard different? If your's is bad, what does it do when it goes bad?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:26 AM
HLD_Civic
se7en

in my haynes manual, it says to test it by pinching the tube that connects it to the throttle body with pliers. Make sure to cover the area that you're pinching with a towel to not damage the tube with the pliers teeth. If the valve is good, supposedly it will click when the tube is pinched. When I pinched the tube the motor just bogged down and no "clicking" happened. I've heard they're cheap and my car has 144K miles on it so I'm assuming it did go bad.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Yeah, I would say you are about due. The honda tech I talked to say you would know when it goes bad. What you are saying is proabably the case. Let me know if you figure out how to change it. It maybe a tear it apart and figure it out yourself thing. Haynes manuals don't go too in depth.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:56 PM
DarkInfluence
Banned

The Haynes manual also doesnt tell you that you should have the car balanced when you check and refill the fluid on the transmission. The more I read through the Haynes book it just goes breifly through alot of stuff to the point where you must ask questions to peeople with experience or else you will be lost just following the book. That damn book doesn't even give the correct spark plug wiring from the distributer to the spark plugs. I'm going to give more thought about the Helms book instead and see what thats all about.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:15 PM
derf
Spec5

PCV valve is $3, tranny fluid is a since to change. PCV takes 10 minutes, tranny is alike an oil change
Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Is there a filter in the slush box tranny also?