Notices

white smoke real bad!!! what the hell is going on

Old 01-19-2003, 12:49 PM
DAJDMJUNKY
chill factor performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke real bad!!! what the hell is going on

my 92 hatch is blowing white smoke like crazy , i know it might be oil its burning but why so much and the car is hesitating and shutting off on me!!!! help me out what should i do, should let it run for a bit or drain oil ???????????
Old 01-19-2003, 12:58 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you put too much oil in the motor? Check the oil level first.

If it's right, you must have blown a headgasket or your piston rings are bad in a cylinder (or a couple).
Old 01-19-2003, 01:57 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

white smoke is normally a blown head gasket. Takes some time do replace, but not hard at all. It's that or replace the egnine....
Old 01-19-2003, 02:28 PM
umop-apisdn
Allergic to vitamin D

White smoke = coolant being drawn into the combustion chamber and being burned.

Look very closely at the smoke, if it has a slightly blue tinge you are burning oil. Each symptom leads to different conclusions. Check both the coolant and oil levels also. Get back with me on your findings and I can tell you the exact problem/how expensive it will be to repair.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:16 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

Do yourself a compression test.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:47 PM
DanM

umop is right. White smoke is coolant burning. If it's blueish, it's oil, not coolant. Burning oil will also smell much worse. Burning coolant won't really smell like anything (it's basically just steam).

You said you're getting hesitation. If it's coolant, and you're getting hesitation, then it probably means you've got a crack in your block, or something else generally serious.

If it's oil, and you're burning that MUCH of it, it's probably something serious too. Fried rings maybe? Who knows, could be anything. We need more info.

Either way, unfortunately, that much smoke coming out of your tailpipe is probably going to be expensive. Sorry man.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:50 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ManTiS
Do yourself a compression test.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:50 PM
DAJDMJUNKY
chill factor performance

Originally posted by DanM
umop is right. White smoke is coolant burning. If it's blueish, it's oil, not coolant. Burning oil will also smell much worse. Burning coolant won't really smell like anything (it's basically just steam).

You said you're getting hesitation. If it's coolant, and you're getting hesitation, then it probably means you've got a crack in your block, or something else generally serious.

If it's oil, and you're burning that MUCH of it, it's probably something serious too. Fried rings maybe? Who knows, could be anything. We need more info.

Either way, unfortunately, that much smoke coming out of your tailpipe is probably going to be expensive. Sorry man.
ok guys thank u for all the info but the smoke did have a blushish tint 2 it so i let the car run for a bit and now it not blowing smoke and the hesitation stopped also. i still think there is something wrong in the block because it just doesn't sound right...
im really not stressing it right now because i have 2 other cars ( 03 matrix xrs, and a crx si) but my hatch is the only one running now as my everyday driver 2 work because the crx is being built for drag or scca not sure which one yet and the matrix is my project show car so its in the shop getting some goodies put in 2 it.thanks again i will keep u guys posted
Old 01-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

I've heard that a bad PCV valve will do the same thing. They hardly ever go bad, but when they do, that's what happens. Do a search or take a look on this page. Someone was talking about replacing theirs.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:47 PM
sphinx054

do a cylinder leakage test to find out if it is a blown head gasket if you need help knowing what to do let me know. this will definatly let you know if a blown head gasket is your problem. let me know