Notices

Transmission or just a CV joint?

Old 04-05-2009, 12:13 PM
morepower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission or just a CV joint?

I have a question, my 2005 Civic 1.7 SOHC automatic 4 years 49k miles, started making a vibration at about 10 mph, you hear a strange noise in the cab, sounds like playing cards in the spokes of a Bicycle only muffled, you feel vibration at the gas pedal on the steering wheel.

While driving I kill the motor and put it in neutral coasting, the vibration remains, it isn't coming from the engine, because revving it would do it, only when its moving will it do this.

I jacked up the two front wheels and ran the car in drive, The vibration and noise was there without moving, The two front wheels turn more or less free, the right side seems to go faster.

When I apply the brakes the wheels stop but I hear and feel a slight shudder the continues for 4 seconds, maybe the the torque converter coming to a stop.

I feel something is broken internal, not sure if its a CV joint, or what, I placed the car on grass a spun the wheels the both peeled out.

any Ideas? Its going to the dealer tomorrow, does the 5/60 drive train warranty cover axles?
This isn't my car its my daughters, I don't know what happened to cause this, its not raced, as far as I know. The past history has been brown ATF at 20k miles, dealer had said its normal and forget about the fluid till 120k miles, so Ive been doing drain and fills every 10k, no moire brown.

Any insight will be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Shameinator

its not your cv axle I know that much. It could be your bearing where the axle slides into the transmission but I don' really know enough to say for sure.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
morepower

Thanks shaminator. The dealer says its the front wheel bearing, but only makes the noise and vibration in the cab. Cant hear it next to the wheel.
$350.

They said there is no drive train warranty on an 05 Civic they say only 3/36
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Shameinator

Well if its the front wheel bearing you should be able to do that yourself and save some dough but its up to you and it depends if its worth your time LoL. That sucks on the warranty you would think they would cover stuff like that but noooooo.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

do it yourself, 350 is retarded expensive
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
morepower

Originally Posted by raiden571
do it yourself, 350 is retarded expensive
Too late my my daughter told them to go ahead, the job is done, and they only changed one bearing. She only informed me after she gave the go ahead.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
cruzalekz

your car should be covered under warranty
Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
eoinzero
ChewDOG

sounds more like your wheels are outta balance to me.......

.....not tryin to be smart or anything but did you see the new wheel bearing in the car??

Mechanics in ireland will tell a poor old lady der is a wheel bearing gone when its quite obvious she just drove into a deep pothole a few days before
Old 04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
morepower

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
your car should be covered under warranty
3/36 is all it had.