Notices

Best brakes for daily driver

Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 PM
garykf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brakes for daily driver

Gotta do the front brakes on my '95 Civic LX. Wondering whether I've been using overkill with PowerStop crossdrilled rotors and EBC Green Stuff pads? If I replace these, it's gonna be $$$, as opposed to going back to more standard parts. Whaddya think? It's a daily driver, I don't beat on it too much, but it IS comforting to know it'll haul down if asked to in a hurry.

What rotors and pads setup would you use?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:52 PM
94jdmcivic

u have a d series 4 door honda...if i were you i would just got to autozone and buy some stock rotors for 12 bucks a piece and some 20 dollar semi metalic pads and there ya go
Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by 94jdmcivic
u have a d series 4 door honda...if i were you i would just got to autozone and buy some stock rotors for 12 bucks a piece and some 20 dollar semi metalic pads and there ya go
that is a fucking terrible suggestion. those 20 dollar semi metalic pads made in fucking China are gonna wear like shit and more than likely squeal like a bitch.

I would rec. having your stock rotors turned if they still have enough left, costs 12 bucks a piece if that to have them turned at a local auto store. Toss on a set of OEM HONDA pads or if you want a bit more bite then HAWK HPS pads are excellent for a bit more bite on a daily driver. cross drilled/slotted rotors have LESS stopping power and are not going to help you with anything.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Blue Blood

I thought cross drilled/slotted rotors were made for power stoping?
less friction less heat more bite??
Old 03-27-2009, 05:19 AM
dieneverknowing

I always use brembo blanks and either oem or axxis ult ceramic pads. The axxis pads have a better 'bite' to them but they'll chew up the rotor quicker then the oem pads.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 AM
ddd4114

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
I thought cross drilled/slotted rotors were made for power stoping?
less friction less heat more bite??
Unless you're really heating up the brakes, less friction means less braking torque.

Slotted rotors will wear pads more quickly, and poorly manufactured drilled rotors are prone to cracking. However, I'm not convinced that a quality set of drilled/slotted rotors are useless. There are SAE papers showing that they dissipate heat more quickly and can improve stopping distances (in some cases). I'm not saying that they're a good investment for a street car, but they might help if you autocross or road race.

Anyway, I second Civic2Scooby's suggestion. If you can lock up the wheels, your brakes are fine.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
IanB
MB4

I'd suggest some good blank rotors like Brembo's (they aren't as expensive as the name suggests), and some good pads like Hawk HPS, or KVR's, or some of the others already mentioned. Flush and bleed your brakes, and maybe look into stainless lines if you want.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duralast rotors if you're on a budget and OEM pads. Your Civic can stop plenty well with OEM pads while being daily driven.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

It's a daily driver. If you are not autocrossing or doing track days then Autozone rotors are fine with some EBC or AEM pads. You don't need anything over the top.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:51 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM pads >>>>>> EBC greenstuff. If this is just a commuter car, stick with OEM. If you want more of a performance pad, Axxis Ultimate or Hawk are good pads. (the ultimates dust a lot, but if you're in an LX on steelies, it's not like that matters h: )

As for rotors, just check yours. If they don't vibrate when you brake at speed, they're smooth to the touch, and don't have a "lip" around the edge, I'd just throw the pads on and call it a day. Otherwise, get them turned or get a fresh set of blanks. Slots/cross-drilling don't do shit on a normal street-driven car.