Notices

92 Civic DX Starting Issues....HELP!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 AM
albo18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic DX Starting Issues....HELP!

Hi everyone.

I own a 1992 Civic DX automatic 4dr. 124K miles.

Yesterday, I discovered that my car would not start, in fact no power was running to anything. After a lot of sweating and swearing, I eventually discovered that the 80 amp main fuse in the fuse box under the hood was blown as well as the 7.5 amp Back Up fuse.

I replaced both and the car started just fine today. I thought everything was great, except that I discovered that my stereo was not working. I took my car into my garage and looked under the dashboard fuse box for the radio fuse. I checked it, everything seemed to be fine with it. When I replaced the radio fuse, and went to pull the car out of the garage, I discovered that the car will once again not start.

This time it's different. I have power, the car turns over but it doesn't catch. I'm at a loss. Would anyone know what on earth could have happened? And how to solve this?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

First, try jumpstarting it.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
albo18

Done, no dice. I've got power. It wants to turn over, it's like it's starved for fuel.

All fuses are working. I'm concerned that I somehow may have blown the MFR. And I'm not totally sure where it is and how to get it out. Please understand, my mechanical knowledge is fairly basic.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:56 PM
thetunersource

Hmm, have you checked the power to your fuel pump to make sure that the relay is working properly?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:47 PM
albo18

I think it is the MFR, yes. There's no power running to the pump as far as I can tell and I don't hear the usual start up whir of my fuel pump.

My father's a mechanic. He informed me that it is quite rare for a fuel pump to all of a sudden randomly die.

The more I read about hot starting causing problems with MFRs, the more I feel that's what it is. I'm located in Northern Canada at the moment where temperatures in the winter routinely hit -35 below. This would mitigate hot starting and allow electricity to flow over a poorly built or faulty MFR.

Please understand, I moved the car into my garage where the temperature is 4 or 5 above zero.

Do you think my hypothesis is correct?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 PM
cruzalekz

somethng's wrong with the circuit.. the current seems to be high and does not reach the load so because of this short to ground, the fuse blows up.
thank the engineers for the fuses.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 AM
albo18

Hmm....any idea how I can check for the loads on the circuit? And then solve the load issue?

The MFR is on its way. Should be here by the 20th. I intend to swap it out at the least because I need that damn vehicle to work. lol
Old 03-20-2009, 02:05 PM
albo18

Received the MFR and replaced it. The original MFR didn't look to be in the greatest of shape anyway.

I still have the same problem...sigh...

I could really use some insight on this.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Shameinator

Take to a car electrical guy let them diagnose it. When it comes to this its better not to guess and fix it right. Guessing can lead to electrical fires if your not careful.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM
cruzalekz

have u check for spark?