Notices

Help me? Transmission + other problems

Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 PM
taylorisafop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me? Transmission + other problems

I own a 98 Civic Ex.

Recently installed a new clutch and flywheel and followed a step-by-step guide to finish it. The flywheel cover didn't align correctly, but I don't feel its part of my problem. The starter turns but it won't crank, also I cannot push start it because it won't go into gear. What's my problem?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 PM
taylorisafop

Default Got it in the shop

Put it in the shop, figured out that I didn't align something properly. Now they're saying my timing is severely advanced (20%) and I'm risking my lower end being ruined. They're going to run a compression test monday to let me know how bad it is, what could be the issue?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 PM
jethrocreek
CRX NOOB

I am assuming that the car ran before the clutch issue, but being 20% out of time seems a little on the eccessive side for the vehicle to even start. If the starter will spin but not engage, are you sure of the correct parts? Did you replace the flywheel or just turn the current one? If the flywheel is too large/small the starter will not bew able to engage it and would show the issues you are having. If this is the original flywheel, how are the teeth? if it is missing any the starter will spin but not engage.

Oh and as far as alignment goes.... There is only one item in a clutch that needs to be aligned correctly and that is the clutch disc. If improperly aligned you won't be able to mate the tranny and motor back together at all. So if you have the unit back together ( as i assume you do) then alignment was not an issue.

Last edited by jethrocreek; 03-07-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 AM
kronosdelsol

I assume you used the clutch alignment tool right? I would reinstall the starter and double check it for the right voltage. Maybe you missed a connection.

Did you do anything with the distributor to affect your timing?

What else did you do besides changing the clutch?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 AM
compfreak2002

sounds like the garage is lying about your timing, other then that it sounds like you forgot to install your throw out bearing or hook up your clutch, and the starter issue, make sure your installing the same flywheel and the same starter and make sure its mating right with shims if there were any.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Since there's no engine swap involved here...this is probably better off in the Civic/Del Sol/ EL forum.
Moved...

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM
cruzalekz

shops getting you ripped off . clutch install does not involve timing.

i believe you got the wrong parts.

reason wy your starter is engaging is because the starter's pinion gear does not engage with the flywheel gears...