Notices

Frustrating '98 Honda Civic EX stall issU

Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
techboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrating '98 Honda Civic EX stall issU

I have this frustrating issue where my Honda stalls out. It doesn't matter how fast I'm driving - 5 mph, 20 mph or 60mph - the engine "lurches" and then stalls, always after driving for about 20 to 30 minutes. I have to sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then I am able to start the engine and roll about my merry way. No codes are generated when this happens. In fact, I can't read at all in the 10 to 15 minutes where I can't start the engine - the scanner comes back and says that it cannot talk to the computer. Only after I am able to start the car, can I take a reading.

I brought it in to have someone check it out, but they were unable to replicate the problem and didn't find anything. They recommended a tuneup, which I did, but the problem still occurs.

I've heard a couple suggestions - ignitor, vacuum leak...The Civic repair guide is telling me to check the fuel pressure first. Anyone have any other ideas? What to look for? Kind of difficult to troubleshoot, I know...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
jdmek9
JDM GAME

Hey I had a hell of a time figuring out a problem like this on my hatch. I would be driving at any speed and all of a sudden it would just shut off on me, there was times when id be on the freeway going 70 and all of a sudden it would just die. I would have to pull over and wait a lil bit sometimes longer and eventually it would start again. This happened countless times. I trouble shooted everything i could and eventually found out that the problem was the ingition switch, the terminals and contacts get worm out causing it to die. Anyway long story short I ordered a $30 piece from Honda, installed it within 10 mins and it has never stalled on me again. Its been almost a year now and it hasn't died once.. Just a little advice but that was my problem and believe me I tried everything else...alternator, distributor, plugs, plug wires etc....

Good luck
Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM
techboy

Thanks jdmek9...I found this: http://www.visualimpressions.ca/switch/

Seems like there is a recall. I signed up on Honda America's Ownerlink, but my VIN# didn't trip any recall notices for that. Your experience sounds very similiar to mine, I should give them call.

Sorry you had to go through all that just to find out it was a $30 part!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
jdmek9
JDM GAME

Yeah no problem and thats actually one of the websites I stumbled upon while I was contemplating the ignition switch recall and as it turned out it was right. I didn't even bother talking to a Honda dealership, I just wanted my car running so I ordered straight from Honda and was back on the road after almost a month with no leads...

Good luck, let me know if I was correct if not i'll try to help you figure out your problem
Old 02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
jdmek9
JDM GAME

Oh I aslo forgot to add in my original post that I never once had any codes thrown either, thats why I was so confused at the time. So maybe there's a little more incentive for you.

Once again good luck
PS. I Drive a 98 Civic DX HB
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Shameinator

Originally Posted by jdmek9
PS. I Drive a 98 Civic DX HB
Nice.

I had a 97 Bubbleback I loved that car!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:52 AM
jdmek9
JDM GAME

They're great cars! I've had mine for 4 years and this was the only real issue I ever had to deal with
Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 AM
cruzalekz

change the main relay. when these gets old, they heat up faster and does not do thier job
Old 02-08-2009, 05:32 PM
techboy

Originally Posted by jdmek9
Yeah no problem and thats actually one of the websites I stumbled upon while I was contemplating the ignition switch recall and as it turned out it was right. I didn't even bother talking to a Honda dealership, I just wanted my car running so I ordered straight from Honda and was back on the road after almost a month with no leads...

Good luck, let me know if I was correct if not i'll try to help you figure out your problem

Luckily the dealer had it in stock and I picked it up pronto. I swapped it out (took me a WEE bit longer than 10 minutes ). Big test will be tomorrow. Crossing fingers. If it doesn't work, If it fails again, I'll have to maybe look at the main relay as suggested above...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
thisismatt

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
change the main relay. when these gets old, they heat up faster and does not do thier job
Yeah, just change random parts until the problem goes away! Relays are easy to check, and the problem is usually with broken solder joints that are a simple fix and cost nothing, rather than throwing money at it.