Notices

ride is crappy, shocks or springs?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 AM
myGFsIntegra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride is crappy, shocks or springs?

yep, my 98 EX is riding like crap. I am going to get some new tires, so i figured i'd take care of the ride quality as well. So this is a two part question.

PART A - Shocks

1) I'm guessing this is a problem with the shocks. All the thread's i've found list parts from 06 on back, what will give me a slightly stiffer ride than stock.

PART B - Springs

1) Is this poor ride also due to worn springs? This is just a daily commuter so i don't need to handle corners or anything.

2) I don't really feel the need to lower my car. I haven't been able to find any company that makes springs that don't lower the car. I know that when buying stuff like this, its often as price effective to buy aftermarket stuff. Do "non-lowering" springs exist? If not, and i need to buy springs, which would give me a good ride with the least drop?

Thanks guys
Old 10-24-2008, 02:04 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check some of your suspension bushings to see if any of them are worn for good measure. You can buy Koni Red shocks and Tein H-tech springs, the Koni's are a great shock that are stiffer than stock and the springs are for for a little less than a 1 inch drop with a near stock ride.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Shameinator

How many miles are on your car? Or rather how many on your current set of shocks? Has your car been lowered at all or is it all stock still?

Typically shocks will make a huge improvement on the ride quality of your car without changing the springs. however if you have high miles on both you may need to change both. That would definately get you close to brand new as far as ride is concerned. You can by springs straight from the dealer with no drop. You won't find anything in the aftermarket that I know of that won't lower your car. If you get springs that lower it you will also need new shocks with a shortened total length cause the stock one will bottom out and give you an even worse ride. I know cause thats how my idiot ass friend did it on the honda he sold me. Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:17 AM
myGFsIntegra

Yeah, i just looked under the car and its a good possibility that the shocks and springs have never been replaced. Its a 98 with 120+ on it. I guess i'll have to look for springs and shocks both. Ebay Ebay Ebay.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 PM
myGFsIntegra

ok, so i've priced the crap at autozone/dealer and it looks like i might as well get aftermarket stuff if i'm gonna spend the money at autozone. here are my options

KYB GR-2 SHOCKS & SPRINGS HONDA CIVIC 96 - 00 1.5 drop

Tokico Gas Shocks w/ H&R lowering Springs Civic 96-00

or just the dampeners on either of the above for about $240 and get 4 springs from the dealer for $270

96-00 HONDA CIVIC Shocks Struts 97 98 99

JoePoonani, you mentioned the Tein H-Tech springs. What is the difference between the H-Tech and the S-tech. Seems like i can get either for about the same price and Tein's website is not very descriptive

k, i guess i answered my own question by searching. Looks like i'd prefer the H-Tech because they won't lower my car as much. So now on to search the H&R OE Sports!

Last edited by myGFsIntegra; 10-25-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:07 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

The H&R OE sports are a good choice as far as very limited height altering and they have a slightly stiffer spring rate over stock.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:14 PM
myGFsIntegra

k, i think i wrapped up the search.

its gonna be the GR-2's and the OE sports...

now on to find a rear camber correction writeup!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Originally Posted by myGFsIntegra
k, i think i wrapped up the search.

its gonna be the GR-2's and the OE sports...

now on to find a rear camber correction writeup!
If I were you I'd spend the extra money and get the Koni's, they have a lifetime warranty on them.

As for camber correction, just buy a front and rear camber kit and get the car aligned.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 AM
myGFsIntegra

do you think i'll need a camber kit if its only supposed to drop it 3/4 in? I don't even know if it'll be that much compared to my saggy stock ones.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Shameinator

you won't really know till you get the things installed and see how you sit. If you do go to pep boys I got a camber kit for my honda for a little over a 100 dollars it was like 58 a side.