Notices

Brake pedal squeak?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Shogo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal squeak?

Can anyone help me figure this out? My break pedal is causing some kind of squeak. It is definitley NOT the breaks as I just had break work done. (Squeak was happening before having work done). The squeak happens when I take my foot off the break quickly (IE sitting at a stop light and the light turns green and I take my foot off the break) or when I push the break down fast. There must be a simple solution to stop the squeak. Some WD 40 or something?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
e.l. jefe

uh yeah i would try some sort of lubricant wd40 sounds good. btw brakes not breaks.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

You gotta find where its coming from. Are you sure its from the pedal itself?
edit: I wouldn't use a solvent in a place that needs lubricant.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Mine does the same thing. I've listened to it carefully, and it sounds like it's coming from the back. Can't be the back though, because I just did my rear pads (drums) a couple weeks ago, and it's still squeaking.

I've also pushed on the pedal with my eye near it and can't hear anything down there, just sounds like it's coming from the back.

x2 on the WD-40, don't use that on something that has oil/grease. that stuff will break the grease down.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:05 PM
mattc28

Does the car move a little slower, like the brakes are on a little bit? I replaced the pads on my car, got pads from autozone, and new rotors. When i put them on, they felt fine but i noticed the squeaking. What caused it was that the pads were a tiny bit too large to slide freely, an access of coating on the ear-like part of them. I simply sanded them down a bit, and then they worked fine.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:11 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Mine doesn't move any slower, and I had brand new rear and front pads.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:08 PM
fgodmaire

mine is doing the same and its coming from back too..got drums too .. 96
Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

This is a very, very common problem on older cars with rear drums. I can almost guarantee that its coming from there. You have to take the drum off and inspect the brakes, and grease everyting up. I have the same problem. In my case, the self adjusting pin (cant recall actual name) that keeps the separated when the wheel cylinder retracts fell out of the groove of one of the shoes. Now it rests against the hub and squeeks.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Well I fixed mine today. Opened up the passenger drum and everything seemed to be in place. I just used brake grease to lube everything up. All the moving parts and pivot points were bone dry and begining to rust. No more squeeks. The whole process took about 20 mins.

For those of you who never worked on drums, I would recommend to proceed with caution, and take into account that its easy to mess your brakes up. What I mean is that since everything is connected with relatively stiff springs and is situated in a small space with a lot of small parts, its very easy to pop the wheel cylinder out of place and maybe damage it. It did that almost every time that I had to mess with the drums. So get ready to bleed the brakes after you do the job.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Originally Posted by Line7
Well I fixed mine today. Opened up the passenger drum and everything seemed to be in place. I just used brake grease to lube everything up. All the moving parts and pivot points were bone dry and begining to rust. No more squeeks. The whole process took about 20 mins.

For those of you who never worked on drums, I would recommend to proceed with caution, and take into account that its easy to mess your brakes up. What I mean is that since everything is connected with relatively stiff springs and is situated in a small space with a lot of small parts, its very easy to pop the wheel cylinder out of place and maybe damage it. It did that almost every time that I had to mess with the drums. So get ready to bleed the brakes after you do the job.

x2. If you don't have a Haynes manual, get one before you do your brakes.