Notices

TurboXS Boost Controllers

Old 12-13-2002, 08:07 AM
Mike99
U.S. CoastGuard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboXS Boost Controllers

I was on Lightning Motorsports website looking at the TurboXS boost controllers and there is a standard boost controller and a high performance one. On the high performance one it states that it's a ball spring design and gets you to full boost sooner than stock. I thought the only difference between the two was the ability to go higher in boost on the high performance one, but under the description for the standard one it doesn't say it's a ball/spring design or that it gets to full boost quicker. Is it the same design with just a more powerful spring and housing for the high performance one or is it a different setup that is better that I should get even though I only want to increase the boost to 7psi, 12psi If the motor goes and I rebuild. Confusing? Thanks
Old 12-13-2002, 08:22 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard one is probably a bleeder type MBC. A bleeder type will bleed off the boost signalt to the w/g or actuator in order to hold the w/g closed longer. A ball and spring type uses a spring to hold a ball bearing against the opening in the MBC until it reaches a boost pressure high enough to compress the spring. Then the ball is pushed out of the opening and the boost signal reaches the w/g or actuator and opens the w/g. Ball/spring type MBC's are generally better and less prone to spiking than bleeder types.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:34 PM
SpeedRacerEX-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make your own for $7.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:20 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SpeedRacerEX-R
Make your own for $7.
My homemade MBC used to spike when cold and wouldn't hold boost when it warmed up. I think if you find a good spring, a homemade one would work alright, but I got tired of it and got an EBC.