Notices

what did i do to my car now.....

Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM
brak
37 ?!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what did i do to my car now.....

94 civic DX, manual

changed the timing belt about a month ago, it came out fine.

yesterday i decided to do a valve adjustment, most were in spec, adjusted a couple. put it all back together, and car is running like absolute crap, barely any power, feeling like it wants to stall, but wont, just idles very low.

i figured i mis-adjusted the valves, so i take it back apart this morning and re-adjust. after driving again, i got normal power back, but it still is idling very low, and after letting idle and giving it gas, i get a giant plume of smoke out my tail pipe.

any info would be great! thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i would confirm that your timing is still correct just for peice of mind. Then look at what you've just messed with. There is some technique to adjusting the valves, it's a simple process but sometimes you really need to get a feel for how they need to be set. Adjusting the valves to tighter clearances should actually raise the idle a tad bit due to the increase in air flow causing a slightly leaner condition which is usually compinsated for by adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body. Most valve adjustments won't notice a change other than less noise from the valvetrain.

Just check over your timing again & make sure you didn't knock anything loose durring the work that you performed.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Eddog85

Originally Posted by Running925
i would confirm that your timing is still correct just for peice of mind. Then look at what you've just messed with. There is some technique to adjusting the valves, it's a simple process but sometimes you really need to get a feel for how they need to be set. Adjusting the valves to tighter clearances should actually raise the idle a tad bit due to the increase in air flow causing a slightly leaner condition which is usually compinsated for by adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body. Most valve adjustments won't notice a change other than less noise from the valvetrain.

Just check over your timing again & make sure you didn't knock anything loose durring the work that you performed.
I agree, ive ajusted my valves before and hes right it dosent change your idle just the noise coming out of your engine. If you did it right it should sound a lil quiter. Check your oil and water and also if anything came lose.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:22 AM
brak
37 ?!

hey guys, wanted to post an update.

i had the dealer adjust the valves, just to be safe. and the car still ran awful, and overheated.

a friend and i found the head gasket was blown. we replaced the headgasket. and so far it seems good.