Notices

things to note when installing a turbo...

Old 12-08-2002, 09:15 AM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you teflon tape the threads for the oil feed....i have the APEX kit on my 00ex and the guy that had the kit before me forgot to teflon tape it. I didn't think to even check it and after i installed the whole kit i started it up and it LEAKED OIL so i had to take it all off and basically reinstall the whole kit.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:28 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by yellow civic ex
thanks, that site will be really helpful. one more question...is turbo magazines website usually a reliable source of info?? they said that the apexi kit with the gt intercooler at only 5lbs of boost makes 187whp...i'm not sure how accurate that is, since i know kits like greddy only give a sohc like 140whp. check out this site:

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0108tur_apexturbo/
They tuned the A'PEXi kit with an AFC. The numbers you're thinking of for the GReddy kit are probably untuned. The GReddy kit is also a good option for SOHC boost, but it may take more boost pressure to make the same power. You can easilly get past the 200hp mark with a GReddy kit, but t will take some good tuning with a standalone unit, and at about 8-12lbs of boost to do it.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:43 PM
derf
Spec5

how do you tune a turbo?... can you explain? never really understood that..... what are you able tp change... besides. boost
Old 12-08-2002, 10:16 PM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Originally posted by inspyral
They tuned the A'PEXi kit with an AFC. The numbers you're thinking of for the GReddy kit are probably untuned. The GReddy kit is also a good option for SOHC boost, but it may take more boost pressure to make the same power. You can easilly get past the 200hp mark with a GReddy kit, but t will take some good tuning with a standalone unit, and at about 8-12lbs of boost to do it.
so does this mean the the apexi will make more power with a smaller lbs of boost when compared to the greddy kit? since the apexi is ball bearing.. so i am assuming that it'll spool faster than then greddy? is that correct?
Old 12-08-2002, 10:31 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Originally posted by derf
how do you tune a turbo?... can you explain? never really understood that..... what are you able tp change... besides. boost
Fuel and timing maps. Of course, you would need a way to alter those maps. In the case above, they used an AFC to tune the fuel curve.
Originally posted by tokyoracer
so does this mean the the apexi will make more power with a smaller lbs of boost when compared to the greddy kit? since the apexi is ball bearing.. so i am assuming that it'll spool faster than then greddy? is that correct?
Whether it would make more power per pound of boost would depend on the thermal efficiency of the turbo, and how well the setup is tuned. The IHI bb turbo is about the same size as the TD04H in the GReddy kit, so I would wager their thermal efficiencies are pretty similar. Yes, with two similar turbos, the ball bearing one would spool slightly faster.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:04 PM
derf
Spec5

air fuel controller = AFC rite?
Old 12-08-2002, 11:19 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Originally posted by derf
air fuel controller = AFC rite?
A'PEXi's acronym actually stands for "Air Flow Converter", since it modifies the MAP sensor signal in order to get the ECM to add or take away fuel, but yes, an AFC does control fuel, and yes, this is a run-on sentence.