Notices

1996 honda civic ex 2dr dashboard and overheating problems

Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
antonio513

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 honda civic ex 2dr dashboard and overheating problems

i have a 1996 Honda civic ex 2dr i was driving home one day from work and my dashboard lights suddenly went off i checked all my fuses they are all good none of them are burned out i checked the light bulbs from the dashboard and they are not burned out when i turn my alarm my dashboard lights start flashing like if they work im thinkin it might be a power shortage in the cars wiring or a cable might of been disconnected what can i do or what might be the problem.
I also have another problem with it i was driving my car to my friends house and my car suddenly started overheating. i drove it back home i was only a block away from my house and i left the car at home next day i bought a water pump because i thought it was my water pump i replaced my water pump which i thought my car was going to be better but it was still the same i checked my hoses on my car and none of them are damaged i checked my thermastat and its good but just i case it was damaged or ruined i bought a new one for it and it still does the same thing i took of the cap from the radiator and the water just goes back out i dont know what might be the problem i need help or some information on what might be the problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Moved from Integra / ITR to 92+ Civic / Del Sol / EL...
They'll take good care of you over there.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Regarding no dash lights, sounds like the problem might be with the control stalk, that sticks out of the steering column. Do your headlights work?
Maybe a relay but I'm not sure about that.
If the dash lights work with your alarm, then it must not be a loose wire, etc.

Originally Posted by antonio513
... i took of the cap from the radiator and the water just goes back out ...
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Since you check/replaced the water pump and thermostat, my next guess would be a blockage somewhere in the system. Does your heat work? Does your radiator fan come on while the car is sitting still and it starts to get hot (above 1/2 on gauge)?

Last edited by A-series; 09-02-2008 at 10:08 PM.