Notices

Need advice on what to do with the @ Trannys I have

Old 08-24-2008, 12:18 AM
vincemasi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on what to do with the 2 Trannys I have

so I have a 1994 Del Sol with a LS/VTEC build. I purchased a GSR tranny off of Craigslist (out of car already) and installed it into the Del Sol.

The speed sensor doesnt work and the 3rd gear syncros seem to be going bad.

Also my clutch doest seem to grab as good as it did before I pulled the tranny out. Before the swap the clutch grabbed real good. Almost too good. Now its eh. a lot easier to daily drive but terrible for the track.

Did I perhaps install the clutch wrong?

Ive been working on this thing for 2 weeks and im just not thrilled about taking this GSR tranny out and putting my old stock B series tranny.

I have a buyer for the stock tranny and was thinking about running this GSR tranny untill the syncros completely give out, then just get a tranny with LSD.

What are you suggests? What you you all do if you were in my position.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by vincemasi; 08-24-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:56 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

What fluid is in the GSR tranny? When you drain it's fluid, does it look clean upon closer inspection (and bright light)?
Don't know about the clutch issue, unless you think you might have gotten oil, etc. on the flywheel/clutch face during the install.

If everything seems to check out w/ the GSR trans. other than a worn synchro(s) I'd probably keep using it since you plan on upgrading in the future anyway.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:21 PM
vincemasi

the tranny fluid looked a little muddy when I drained it. I put new stuff in. Honda manual tranny fluid
Old 08-24-2008, 12:33 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Well, I will say that although the new Honda MTF is good (never experienced old stuff that I know of), it can increase the effort of going into 3rd, 4th, 5th, at least on my transmission. Some would call that, becoming notchy. It wasn't bad, and 1st and 2nd were better than w/ engine oil on my trans. but it's known to increase the notchiness on older transmissions.
I'm now running Mobil1 0w30 and it goes in much easier for 3rd-5th and also reverse, with no noticeable difference (yet) for 1st and 2nd from the Honda fluid.
The new Honda fluid, good as it is, just seems a bit thin for 1) tolerances of older trannies and 2) the bearings of those older trannies that now have at least some appreciable wear.

I've not done this (at least not yet) but just a thought, that if things don't improve w/ your 3rd gear engagement, you could try letting about 1/2 of the fluid out, and adding a quart of motor oil to thicken it up as well as (maybe) decrease the friction a bit - sounds counterintuitive for how the synchros work, but it seems to work on some of the older transmissions :shrug: It's just that it's pretty much like water, but leaving 1/2 in there would be good for several reasons, including the zinc that is has in it, so that would still be in there helping synchros, whatever. That's if it doesn't improve, if you just replaced the fluid, I'm sure the problem will improve some.

Last edited by A-series; 08-24-2008 at 12:36 PM.