Notices

Problem after going through water

Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after going through water

Ok, we're getting this tropical storm, and the rain has been bad for the past couple days.

I was heading to the store, and I went through water, thinking it wasn't that deep. The water got into the car from underneath it, and got the front carpet wet.

I got to the store, went in for a little bit, then went to my car, got in and proceeded to go home. The car was bogging out, and it was hard it to get to speed. I smelled fuel, but I don't think I was out of gas, nor was my fuel light on.

Start to sputter down the road, and the check engine light starts blinking. I pulled to a gas station to get gas, but the pumps were off. I start smelling plastic burning, thinking oh crap, something's on fire. Get the hood open, and pull the ground wire from the battery. Checked around, no fire, no more smoke, smelt near the fuel pump under the back seat, did not smell of anything.

Now the car just bogs down, takes a while to rev up, and runs very shaky.

I also pulled the kick panel off, to see if the computer fried, it did not smell like it was fried, nor was it hot.

I'm at a lose here. What could it be?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Little update...

I pulled the intake off, and just as I thought, no water, the filter wasn't water soaked, the throttle body wasn't wet inside, nothing...
Went ahead and put the stock air box on, was getting tired of the deep sound from the short air intake.

I inspected all around, no burns, no lose wires. I pulled the plug wires from the plugs, they weren't wet, no water in the plug holes, so we can rule that out.

While I was under the hood, I disconnected the battery wire, and pulled the battery and IG1 fuse, to reset the ECU, let it sit like that for about 20 minutes.

Put about 2 gallons of gas in that I had from the garage for the lawn mower.

Got in the car, started it up. It didn't shake and idle rough like before, a little high, but the engine was cold, after a few minutes of running and me messing around under the hood, the idle dropped back down to around 700 rpm.

Took the car for a spin, ran a lot smoother, like I said before, it wasn't running rough. It did though, sputter out/bog down when putting my foot to the floor. I noticed it was 'cutting out' when it reached around 5000 rpm.

I'm going to tune it up tomorrow.
  • Oil change
  • Replace spark plugs with NGK Iridiums
  • Replace spark plug wires
  • Replace the distributor cap and rotor
  • New tranny fluid
  • Fuel filter

Let me know if I need anything else.

I also have two more questions. Does it matter if water is getting into the bell housing of the transmission? The flywheel cover does not sit flush with the engine, being as it has a little open groove on it, will water getting into there affect anything? Also, how to I check the valves? Someone told me to re-adjust the valve springs. I could not find anything in the Haynes manual, or online, other than I will need a feeler gauge.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Alfred5279

if you got water in your car, that must have been a pretty good soak. Sounds like some of the water got in the wiring. you might need to let it dry out for a few days. Leave the windows down to let it evaporate or get a blow dryer to dry out the inside of the car and under the dash.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

It's too late now, but the single best thing you could have done was to pull the fault code that caused the check engine light to come on.

That info would have likely kept you from blindly throwing parts at the problem.

Also, you haven't mentioned the model year or trim level...

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:34 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

And always remember NEVER go through standing water, even if you think it's not deep. Now you know why they tell you that on the news and shows.

Not worth the hassle of the problems afterwards especially the people in SUVs who get stuck in standing water when they could have just gone around a side street or another way instead of losing your car.

I would guess wiring, water got into your exhaust system, got the O2 sensor wet enough, or you did suck up some water into your intake. The water will mostlikely dry by the time you pulll everything off considering it's 100+ degrees around that area. Water would evaporate in about 1-2 mins after you shut the car off.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Like I said, the tropical storm has been dumping rain on us hard (6.19" per hour), for a couple days now. Everything is flooded, everything has standing water.

They have a service going around, that they will dry your car out and put anti-mold agents in your carpet, for free, so I'm going to do that. I can't leave the windows open, as it rains every day now, and will for the rest of the week.

The car is a 1997, Ex two door coupe, d16y8 motor. I forgot to mention that the CEL has always been on, since I put the short ram in. I burnt up all the gas in the car earlier this morning, and began to work, and did my tune up.

Did the motor and trans oil change, cap and rotor, fuel filter, plug wires, and plugs, and filled it with 89 octane fuel, and added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. And I must say, the car runs soooooo nice.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 PM
ej6

that shit happened to me while i was in canada.. run i a puddle of water that was deep bec of uneven road... it was winter and cold so it took me 2 days for the car to dry.. after that car runs fine.. water must have gotten into the catalyctic converter or wires...
Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 PM
TRLMech

Sounds to me like you had a sensor problem, have you pulled any codes since then? I'm curious to see if any new codes showed up.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

I let it dry out, and tuned everything up, it's since been like normal again. Didn't have any codes pulled though.