Notices

big brakes!!

Old 11-28-2002, 06:51 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you even need a big brake kit for the streets? I think it's a waste of time and money. I can lock up my brakes fine which means my tires are suffering. I have Brembo blanks and AEM pads with goodrich stainless steel lines and Valvoline Synpower fluid. I run Azenis in the summer and those tires can lock up too.

Big brake kits add more unsprung weight to an already torqueless Civic.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:34 PM
DSC
Long way from home

Another brake place
http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/index.htm
Old 11-28-2002, 09:41 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
Why do you even need a big brake kit for the streets? I think it's a waste of time and money. I can lock up my brakes fine which means my tires are suffering. I have Brembo blanks and AEM pads with goodrich stainless steel lines and Valvoline Synpower fluid. I run Azenis in the summer and those tires can lock up too.

Big brake kits add more unsprung weight to an already torqueless Civic.
the bling bling factor
Old 11-28-2002, 11:49 PM
smudge

I have driven cars with front & rear AEM kits and really like them.I have a Wilwood front kit(upgraded pads) on mine and have found some problems while stopping in the rain.I'm hopping my troubles will go away when i get my AEM rear kit installed to balance my front to rear.

Wilwood are lighter then stock brakes(@12 Ibs).If money is an issue you will spend less with the AEM kit.There isn't a huge difference between the two kits.

As i see it,fast brakes uses rotors and/or calipers from other cars.( this is how it seems with dom. cars anyways)

upgrading your calipers will also improve your braking.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:19 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big brakes has numerous added benefits, on top of the fact they look so much better than those dinky stock calipers. We've installed a few big brake kits. The Brembo Gran Turismo kit was the best. It had clear instructions and everything went on painless. We put on a Wilwood kit... that's another story. Their calipers look like toys in my opinion. I would only consider using Brembo calipers... But I'm having trouble trying to figure out if my spokes clear the calipers. Someone up there mentioned that the spokes don't really matter, but actually we found out the hard way... With BBS RC's, the spokes hit the Wilwood caliper, with a 5mm spacer, that fixed everything.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 11-29-2002, 12:30 PM
toadolson
The One And Only!!!

Thanks for all the info. To the one that said it was extra weight, yes i know. I'm not building a 1/4 mile runner. There is a local cart raceing track here. I need something will hold for a long period of time. I'm going to change the calipers later.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:57 PM
FDragger
the F is a secret :shhh:

ITR 5 lug conversion is also a good buy. you can get them for ~1000 or so and the good thing about them is that they never depreciate. use them for years and you can still sell them for ~1000 bucks. i chit you not.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Smurf
Dancing Banana Driver

Originally posted by FDragger
ITR 5 lug conversion is also a good buy. you can get them for ~1000 or so and the good thing about them is that they never depreciate. use them for years and you can still sell them for ~1000 bucks. i chit you not.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:32 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally posted by FDragger
This has been debated many times but I'll say it anyway. My only problem with ITR 5 lug conversions is that it encourages ITR theft. People will do what they will but a Fastbrakes kit is cheap and Brian Hasty is a helpful guy.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:51 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fastbrakes kit w/ willwood dynalites and stoptech rotors is a sh*tload lighter than stock. They certainly wont slow down your torqueless civic. A bit on the pricey side tho.